Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing one of these recenly something. You'd insert 25 cents or something and the trains would go.

Who else has seen model train layouts like these?

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
I’ve seen layouts in museums where you press a button, and the train goes around a couple of times, but never coin operated....

Build one for your home layout, and fund your hobby with quarters..... :LOL:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I recall a small,coin operated, 5 cents I think, layout in of all places an airport but can't remember where.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
I have heard of them before, but never actually seen one.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Actually, after giving it more thought, ALL layouts are cpin/money operated....unless they were built with absolutely free everything.... :LOL:

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Actually, after giving it more thought, ALL layouts are cpin/money operated....unless they were built with absolutely free everything.... :LOL:
In that case, mine is operated with large denomination bills. But at least, with solar power, the electricity to run it is free!

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
The electricity to run a model railroad is the least expensive aspect..... ;)

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I remember 5-6 years ago going to a RR museum somewhere in the Black Hills of SD, but can't remember the town. Anyway, they had an HO layout that had coin-op trains. Got several minutes for a quarter. Was a pretty good layout.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Years ago in the town of Tehachapi CA they had a coin operated layout depicting Tehachapi loop, it was in the front of a restaurant, I think it cost 50 cents to operate, had a two trains on it an SP and a Santa Fe, I first saw it in 1984, last time I saw it was 91 I believe and at that time it was not operating and was in need of refurbishment, one of the trains was derailed and it was sad looking, pretty sure it long gone by now, there was a short article in a magazine back then about it, don't remember which one, somewhere I have some old faded pics I took with my Kodak disc camera

·
Registered
92 Posts
I remember 5-6 years ago going to a RR museum somewhere in the Black Hills of SD, but can't remember the town. Anyway, they had an HO layout that had coin-op trains. Got several minutes for a quarter. Was a pretty good layout.
Was it the one at Hill City SD? went there in 2010 decent little museum

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are several around Europe that operate on 1 and 2 Euro coins. They are usually in Train Stations or museums in major cities. Fun to look at when traveling.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Actually it's a unique way to ensure the train is running when people are interested but not wearing out when no one is looking at it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This was 40 years ago when I was stationed in Germany, who knows if it's still there. In the Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station) they had a Euro themed layout with several trains and 2 or 3 different scales, yeah it was a good size glass case. Drop a coin and watch a train run for a few minutes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts