Model Train Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
With OSU currently ranked 3rd and Penn State currently ranked 5th, you could have the makings of a good game. My Uncle Bill went to Penn State, so all my cousins (even though they live in Ohio) are Penn State fans. I will make for some good conversations come game day.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Buckeyes have 2 cupcakes next in line, Maryland & Rutgers, ...
Bill
Hey, hey hey there. Cupcake? Really? Your right of course :)

Freshman year at Rutgers, the football team goes 11-0 and the basketball team went 32-0 and to the "Final Four". All of a sudden, you realize, my school rocks sports - cool.

That was it. They've been struggling to go "big time" ever since.

Soccer did well. But do you ever see a thread on Soccer? :laugh:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
...Soccer did well. But do you ever see a thread on Soccer? :laugh:
Soccer wasn't something most of us grew up with. Football, baseball, basketball, and hockey (in some parts) were predominant in the 40's, 50's, and 60's.

My grandsons are involved in soccer. There is a very nice set of fields near where they live. Will they stick with it? Only time will tell.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Soccer wasn't something most of us grew up with. Football, baseball, and hockey (in some parts) were predominant in the 40's, 50's, and 60's.

My grandsons are involved in soccer. There is a very nice set of fields near where they live. Will they stick with it? Only time will tell.
My uncle played college soccer in the 70's which I assume was when it started to become more popular in the US. Both his daughters went to college at least partially on soccer scholarships. I played through middle school but that was the end of my team-sports interest.

Soccer is really on the rise in the US. It's kind of like baseball/softball -and to a somewhat lesser extent basketball- in that it's one of those sports folks can play for a very long time. As a kid I remember seeing alot of older Mexican gentlemen who were getting on grand-dad age kicking the ball around with some pretty impressive footwork. My other uncle played on community leagues well into his 50's.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
With OSU currently ranked 3rd and Penn State currently ranked 5th, you could have the makings of a good game. My Uncle Bill went to Penn State, so all my cousins (even though they live in Ohio) are Penn State fans. I will make for some good conversations come game day.
My parents taught at Penn State for 35+ years. I did my graduate work there. I went to High School with Joe Paterno's daughters, Mary and Diana. My brother (and also my future wife) were good friends with Dave Paterno. My middle son is there now as a freshman. You could say I bleed blue and white!

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
My uncle played college soccer in the 70's which I assume was when it started to become more popular in the US. Both his daughters went to college at least partially on soccer scholarships. I played through middle school but that was the end of my team-sports interest.

Soccer is really on the rise in the US. It's kind of like baseball/softball -and to a somewhat lesser extent basketball- in that it's one of those sports folks can play for a very long time. As a kid I remember seeing alot of older Mexican gentlemen who were getting on grand-dad age kicking the ball around with some pretty impressive footwork. My other uncle played on community leagues well into his 50's.
I played soccer in high school and college, up through my junior year. Two weeks into my senior year, I tore an Achilles tendon in a sloppy slide tackle and never played again. Still love a good game though. Too bad a trip to watch the New England Revolution play is close to $100 a person, by the time you figure ticket prices, gas and food in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
College Football is Back

I lurk here almost daily, but seldom post. I need to say, I bleed blue and white also. '69 BSME

·
Registered
72 Posts
I lurk here almost daily, but seldom post. I need to say, I bleed blue and white also. '69 BSME
Ed2023 and CTValley, I, too, bleed blue and white: MEd 1976 Music Ed (both myself and my wife). Son # 2 working on his masters at PSU; son # 1 got his doctorate at Pitt (you try to bring them up right but........ :)). Football season ticket holder since 2001. Son # 2 and I go to the games (wife and son # 1 don't care for football). Always great to be back on campus.

Bob

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Ed2023 and CTValley, I, too, bleed blue and white: MEd 1976 Music Ed (both myself and my wife). Son # 2 working on his masters at PSU; son # 1 got his doctorate at Pitt (you try to bring them up right but........ :)). Football season ticket holder since 2001. Son # 2 and I go to the games (wife and son # 1 don't care for football). Always great to be back on campus.

Bob
Awesome! My son is studying Music Ed as well.

As for your sons... seems to me you only have one, and he goes to Penn State. That other person you mentioned...disown him! :D Just kidding. It's good to have a strong non-conference opponent to beat up on occasionally.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Awesome! My son is studying Music Ed as well.

As for your sons... seems to me you only have one, and he goes to Penn State. That other person you mentioned...disown him! :D Just kidding. It's good to have a strong non-conference opponent to beat up on occasionally.
Yeah, always good to have a strong non-conference opponent to beat up on occasionally; now, if son # 1 just followed football a little more it would be more fun.

What is your son's major instrument? I'm a saxophonist and my wife is a pianist. 38 years as a band director for me and 37 years as an elementary music teacher for her. We loved it but we're both glad to be retired. Son # 1 played French horn through undergrad (loved using those band credits to pass off arts credits) and son # 2 was a percussionist through high school. Neither play now but at least they had the experience.

Bob

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Yeah, always good to have a strong non-conference opponent to beat up on occasionally; now, if son # 1 just followed football a little more it would be more fun.

What is your son's major instrument? I'm a saxophonist and my wife is a pianist. 38 years as a band director for me and 37 years as an elementary music teacher for her. We loved it but we're both glad to be retired. Son # 1 played French horn through undergrad (loved using those band credits to pass off arts credits) and son # 2 was a percussionist through high school. Neither play now but at least they had the experience.

Bob
My son is blessed to be one of those amazing / annoying people who can pick up just about any instrument and within 15 minutes be making pleasant sounds with it.

He is first and foremost a vocalist with a range of 3-1/2 octaves, but also plays (well enough to get into audition-only school & local groups) piano, guitar / ukelele, clarinet, bass clarinet, and bassoon. He can passibly play trumpet, trombone, and cello. He wants to take up percussion next. He is also an accomplished composer, having written 4 pieces that were performed by his school's jazz band and select chorus, as well as an entire score for his drama club's production of The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet. Can you tell I'm a proud Dad?

Penn State was eager enough to grab him that they offered him almost a full ride ($6k-ish per year for out of state tuition, plus room and board). He eventually wants to be a choir director at the university level, although he's going to teach at the 4-12 level for a few years to get the money to pay for a Master's/ PhD.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My son is blessed to be one of those amazing / annoying people who can pick up just about any instrument and within 15 minutes be making pleasant sounds with it.

He is first and foremost a vocalist with a range of 3-1/2 octaves, but also plays (well enough to get into audition-only school & local groups) piano, guitar / ukelele, clarinet, bass clarinet, and bassoon. He can passibly play trumpet, trombone, and cello. He wants to take up percussion next. He is also an accomplished composer, having written 4 pieces that were performed by his school's jazz band and select chorus, as well as an entire score for his drama club's production of The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet. Can you tell I'm a proud Dad?

Penn State was eager enough to grab him that they offered him almost a full ride ($6k-ish per year for out of state tuition, plus room and board). He eventually wants to be a choir director at the university level, although he's going to teach at the 4-12 level for a few years to get the money to pay for a Master's/ PhD.
Everybody wants to be a drummer. :laugh: I did too, until my mother said I could play anything I wanted as long as it was saxophone. Sounds like a talented kid. Good luck to him; he has great goals. And, there's nothing wrong with being a proud dad.

Bob

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Everybody wants to be a drummer. :laugh: I did too, until my mother said I could play anything I wanted as long as it was saxophone. Sounds like a talented kid. Good luck to him; he has great goals. And, there's nothing wrong with being a proud dad.

Bob
He doesn't want to be a drummer... he just can't stand the fact that there is a category of instrument that he doesn't know how to play! :D

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
First College Football Championship rankings has Ohio State as number 1. Since 2 of the top 4 teams will lose a game before the end of the season this week rankings mean zip.

Bill

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
First College Football Championship rankings has Ohio State as number 1. Since 2 of the top 4 teams will lose a game before the end of the season this week rankings mean zip.

Bill
Well, either #1 or #4 is going to lose on Nov 23, because they play each other...

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Well, either #1 or #4 is going to lose on Nov 23, because they play each other...
Yep, Ohio State plays Penn State and Alabama Plays LSU, so 2 of the top 4 will have one loss for sure. Should open the door for Clemson to get back in the top 4 if they don't blow it.

Bill

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Breaking News !!!!!!

Chase Young, Ohio State Defensive End, #1 Defensive player in college football, possible #1 NFL pick, has been suspended from the team indefinetly. Rumor floating around Columbus is that he may have signed with an agent.

Bill

61 - 80 of 110 Posts