Model Train Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You know, I don't think I've ever seen a layout which is modeled just after a rain storm.
It'd be very cool to just do a section after a rainstorm... much like a NASCAR track can be rained on in just one turn, a portion of a neighborhood could be 'wet', while the rest is dry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I paint all my roads in multiple shades of grey. I paint traffic lines with white and/or yellow paint.

I dry brush traffic patterns next.

Then, I dig up some local soil and sift it into three grades. They finest grade is a fine powder. I spoon this powder onto the roads and brush it over the roads in the direction of traffic. This ages the lines and blends everything together.

I seal the surface with matte clear lacquer. In N scale, I’m done. In HO scale, I draw cracks in the asphalt with a #11 blade. Then, I wash the roads with a black wash. The cracks darker and the roads protected by the lacquer don’t. A quick wipe with a rag leaves the cracks. In N scale, the effect isn’t pronounced enough for the effort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Conventional wisdom?
A look from above.
Subtle and blah is better.

Almost every modeler who models an asphalt road for the first time, makes it black... and then puts white center-lines on it. The result is usually close to a department store train-set display.

The fact is, that asphalt is black only for about a week after it's rolled. Then it gets grayer and grayer, until it no longer resembles black at all.

If you choose to model an asphalt surface, it'll look much more realistic if you color it gray. Be advised that several shades of gray are suitable, as asphalt doesn't age the same in different areas, or under different circumstances.
Then too, center lines only remain white or yellow for a very short period of time. They eventually turn gray or beige or cream.
And don't forget the subtle 'oil stripe' blended into the center of each lane.

Also, keep in mind that concrete is more common than you might think, for roads, streets, and parking lots... especially in urban areas, including city streets, restaurant or gas station lots, etc.
But contrary to popular modeling practice, aged concrete is not gray. It's actually closer to tan.

If you ever have an opportunity to ride in a helicopter, you will notice all this... from almost any altitude. There are no stark contrasty colors. Foliage, roads, streets, lots, and rooftops are mostly all presented to the human eye as subtle shades of pale.
Conventional wisdom?
A look from above.
Subtle and blah is better.

Almost every modeler who models an asphalt road for the first time, makes it black... and then puts white center-lines on it. The result is usually close to a department store train-set display.

The fact is, that asphalt is black only for about a week after it's rolled. Then it gets grayer and grayer, until it no longer resembles black at all.

If you choose to model an asphalt surface, it'll look much more realistic if you color it gray. Be advised that several shades of gray are suitable, as asphalt doesn't age the same in different areas, or under different circumstances.
Then too, center lines only remain white or yellow for a very short period of time. They eventually turn gray or beige or cream.
And don't forget the subtle 'oil stripe' blended into the center of each lane.

Also, keep in mind that concrete is more common than you might think, for roads, streets, and parking lots... especially in urban areas, including city streets, restaurant or gas station lots, etc.
But contrary to popular modeling practice, aged concrete is not gray. It's actually closer to tan.

If you ever have an opportunity to ride in a helicopter, you will notice all this... from almost any altitude. There are no stark contrasty colors. Foliage, roads, streets, lots, and rooftops are mostly all presented to the human eye as subtle shades of pale.
Fantastic your explanation. I used the surface in black and the center lines in white. I tested your explanations in a small part of the street and it was completely different and highlighting all the constructions. Like Police, Gas Station, Scholl, Fire Station and etc .. Thanks

21 - 23 of 23 Posts