Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An Atlas run circa 2009.
I’m doing both at the same time, without a day offset between two for a better series of comparison photos.

Out of the box, the deck was blue. Oddly they took the time to make the bulkhead simulated wood brown. So step one was to match all that up. The rear car is out of box. The front
Cutting mat Electric blue Bumper Rectangle Slope

Then dry brushed gray for dry rot on the “wood.”
Cutting mat Green Light Blue Azure

I applied damaged/worn center lines on the bulkheads. And then, because the wood was thus far done with acrylics, I used a wash with oil paint instead of india ink. The rubbing alcohol would attack the a. I did screw up though, sorta. One car has a suspiciously uniform grease stain. That occurred because I applied full strength oil directly to the deck, then thinned it. So the other car I pre-thinned it. I’ve never had that happen before to my recollection.
Cutting mat Green Textile Wood Rectangle

There are aluminum D rings and other deck details yet to do.
So, it was time to turn my attention to the fade, which was also done with oil paint. Here is a fade & non-fade side by side.
Cutting mat Green Wood Engineering Urban design

Meanwhile, the trucks and wheels were finished, as was one set if plate steel loads. Well, except for tie downs. I’m not decided which method I’m going use this time. I’d like to try a neon green or orange nylon straps with ratcheting come alongs. We’ll see I guess.
Wheel Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Tire

The steel loads are actual steel. I used knock outs from a breaker panel. One side has a slight bend, but I stagger them to keep the stack level.

Circuit component Rectangle Font Electronic device Fashion accessory

The black wheels in the background of several photos are for my next project in line. Pet coke hoppers.

Stay tuned, same Bat channel, same Bat time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Excellent work….love the repurposed metal for loads….cheers.☕🍩

How did you archive the rust on the trucks?
I start with a base color, RR tie brown often being the choice. That serves as both base color & primer on the bare plastic and metal wheels.
I should mention that it helps to tape trucks to a narrow piece of wood or brass as a handle.

Once dry, I liberally apply oil paint. Sometimes raw umber, sometimes burnt umber. While that is still wet, I apply a custom mix of powdered chalks…typically a mix of browns, tans, grays & black. I always make a custom mix so that each project are slightly different, I apply the powdered chalks in a stippling motion with an abused/flared brush. You can google stippling, and see the technique demonstrated by Bob Ross (doing grassy areas particularly). I do not apply oil paint or chalk to the springs at all. The color blending is a result of the stippling. The chalk creates the rough texture. The oil paint acts as both a “glue” as well as a dye for the powdered chalk.
I finish the trucks dry brushing rust colored paint on the springs, bolster ends, and I like to lick the bearings a tad as well, just to highlight some of the details.

I do the wheel sets the same way held by hand, on end, but it takes more time. I do the axle, 1 wheel back and the face of the opposite wheel. Then after 24-48 hours drying time, I do the other wheel back & face. It goes without saying to avoid the axle points.
Out of precaution, I clean up the axle points afterward with a xacto blade before reassembly, making sure each wheel set spins as desired.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
re: the "wood" floors - it's pretty normal that modern flatcars have "nailable steel flooring" for the decking, so Atlas painting it body blue and not "wood colour" was actually correct.

Note the brown colour here is surface rust where the paint was worn away, not natural wood colour, and you can see traces of the original blue paint in places:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gah! I was trying to find an overhead view but wasn’t able to. I also notice the D rings are painted blue.
Those revelations…uh… revealed, I’m invoking Rule 1 and continuing with wood decking and unpainted aluminum D rings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts