Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking back over the week-end I can only wonder if this is the new me.

First of all, while fooling around on my pet project using rare earth magnets as automatic uncoupling ramps (not an easy gig believe me)...... and certainly not as easy for me as some YouTube videos suggest......... anyway, while working on these cursed ramps, I elbowed one of my cherished passenger cars off the layout and onto the floor - shattering it. So i spent a good hour putting Humpty Dumpty back together again and installing a new kaydee at one end.

Secondly, search as I might I could not find the tender of my old HO three truck shay in order that I might measure it for a fellow forum member.

Thirdly, I am currently installing valences in the train room around my ceiling lights (masonite strips extending down some 16 inches and fastened to 2 X 2's that I had brad nailed into the ceiling). The masonite strips are eight feet long and I had previously painted one strip white on one side and flat brown on the other side. I measured the first section up at the ceiling and it needed to be 52 1/2 inches long. I measured twice to be sure. Then I measured out 52 1/2 inches on the masonite lying on the floor and without measuring a second time to be sure, I cut it. When I got up on the stepladder to install it, it was two inches short (50 1/2) - unbelievable.

So I dragged a second eight foot section of masonite up three flights and painted both sides throughout the course of the day and almost screwed up the 52 1/2 inches cut again but caught myself.

Then finally, when I got up on the stepladder, it turned out that I had installed 2 X 2's made of hardwood (oak) because that's all I had in the garage. Well, I ended up snapping off two drill bits trying to drill guide holes into that oak for the screws.

Finally, I managed to get one section up. A thirty minute job expanded into an entire Sunday...... But looks good and big improvement in that section of the layout. Guess as long as we fix what we break and don't expect to get paid by the hour we can live to fight another day.

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,897 Posts
Rough day, dude! I've done everything you have, though not all on the same day. And it was one of my cats that made my orange and gray TGV Sud take the long death plunge...

Except breaking drill bits on oak. I don't remember ever doing that. Bar soap or beeswax works wonders.

Oh well -- today sucked. Tomorrow dawns with a new potential of its own!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Typical day for me Rick, but then I have an excuse (I'm old.)

I had poor lighting in my train room. Went to Lowes and bought a 2X4' LED light fixture, a simple drop-in my suspended ceiling, but what an improvement, I can actually see what's going on now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,897 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the question of the oak 2 X 2's, I finished another strip of masonite this evening. I now have valences on two sections.
It does provide for much improved lighting of the layout scenes but seems to also make the railroad room itself appear smaller.

I essentially took the easy way out with a bar of wet hand soap in a bowl. I rolled the drill bit in the soap and commenced drilling the pilot hole - but with the added help of a second coating of soap at the half way point. Drill still not real happy but at least no smoking and no burned wood on the bit.

And I didn't break anything.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top