Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are Bachmann and Kato track compatable? stocking up on track prior to build a layout. have been out for a while. learning as much as i can. still trying to find out what radius curves fit inside each other for double track.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I do not know about the compatibility of Kato and Bachman, but I can answer a little about Kato curves.

Kato makes boxed sets with the following radius ovals -- 12 3/8-inch (M1 and M2 basic oval), 11-inch (V5 Inner Loop, and 15 1/8-inch V6 Outer Loop -- as part of their master and variation sets. These are designed to nest and fit with their double-track crossover.

Kato also has 15 1/8-inch radius curved track and 9 3/4-inch -- https://www.katousa.com/PDF/N-Unitrack.pdf

I think there is some smaller stuff, too.

I have never used the 9 3/4-inch, but I have used the others, and here is a picture of how they 'nest'. Outer loop is 15 1/8. next inside is 13 3/4 (V6 Outer Loop) , followed by 12 3/8 (M1 oval), and finally 11-inch (V5 Inner Loop).

The gap between the 15 1/8 and the 13 3/4 is bigger because I spaced that track wider. The others are set as double track, and after this picture was taken, I pulled that 15 1/8 radius in closer.

Top right corner shows best relationship between the different radii curves.

I decided not to use the 11-inch on my layout because passenger cars do not look good on it.

SS 15 inch.jpg

·
Registered
9,865 Posts
N scale track from any manufacturer in the same rail code will work together. However, if the track has attached plastic roadbed, the joiners on these are usually proprietary, so prepare to perform surgery to make them fit together. Different codes can be made to work together, too, but you have to shim up the shorter rail so that the railhead heights match.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, so I see going to next available radius will be good for a double track. I found a door layout that I like because I like to watch trains run, not much of a switch yard fan. My first n layout was all flex track and passenger cars were literally been pulled of track on some turns.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Kato and Bachmann track will not simply plug into each other.....the clips that join the plastic ballast sections and rail are different.....

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
are Bachmann and Kato track compatable? stocking up on track prior to build a layout. have been out for a while. learning as much as i can. still trying to find out what radius curves fit inside each other for double track.

tntwolt;

The others have answered your original question well. There is another difference between the Bachmann EZ-Track, and Kato Unitrack, product lines. That is the quality of the "turnouts"(track switches) The Kato Unitrack turnouts are decently made, and reliable, the Bachmann EZ-Track turnouts are neither decently made, or reliable, in fact, they are the worst turnout on the market. I know you said you're more interested in watching train run than switching, and that's fine. However if you buy any turnouts buy the Kato ones, and avoid the Bachmann turnouts. The easy way to get more selection of curves, factory-planned double track, and great overall quality would be to buy all Kato Unitrack, and leave the Bachmann EZ-Track alone.

Traction Fan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts