Model Train Forum banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I just ran a postwar car and a 602 prewar car through an 022 switch, and it appears they both will work just fine. The flanges on the 602 are slightly larger than the flanges on the postwar car.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
Allienfuel has not been back since July.

I guess he is totaly confused now. :smokin:

·
Registered
73 Posts
excellent posting........I found it very confusing until i learned of the many variances in O Scale stuff.........again, excellent explanation.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The "N" in N-scale, could also have meant "Nothing could be smaller than this!" And then Z scale came waltzing in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No one has mentioned OOO scale trains yet.
In 1969 and 70 I built my first OOO layout on a 4x8 board. This later became known as N scale. From O scale, we had OO scale, and then OOO scale. OO is about half of O, and OOO is about half of OO. When OOO came to be, it pretty much ended TT scale's chances of being big in the states. I still have a beautiful little TT scale train layout.
Over the years I have chanced upon some pretty interesting information on scales and gauges of trains. Wow, there is a bunch. It seems I saw included in the lists a mention of #3 gauge also, don't remember for certain.
An extra thought here just fell out, darn thing bounced off my foot before it hit the floor. Seems like the floor has gotten farther away from my hands too!!! Awww, got it...has anyone tried using O gauge track to run G scale trains to represent approximately Go30?
Anyway this has been an interesting thread and thought I'd bump it up.
Dick

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great reference page thank you. So I found a RMT flat car I would like to aquire. Any idea how it will hold up next to Lionel traditional?

RMT acquired several but not all of the old K-line molds and tooling. There are also some signs of Kusan in their line. I would say that RMT probably is comparable to K-line in size.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just recently purchased a Lionel Christmas train and the overall size between it and some of my Lionel trains makes it look a bit smaller...... go figure...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was revisiting this thread today as I recently purchased an MTH Southern Pacific 4-8-4 Gs-4 Steam Engine on eBay (got a swinging deal for 130.00 and it works great after mostly being stored) and have been looking for a couple of Southern Pacific passenger cars for it. At the moment I'm pulling some 0-27 Harley Davidson cars with it, but wanted some lit cars. The Southern Pacific motif is pretty much color coordinated with the Harley stuff making for a good looking train. Needless to say, finding SP *** cars in 0-27 has been a challenge. Most are either HO, G-Scale or the larger O-Scale. Now I have a better idea on what to focus on....

·
16,666 Posts
Prewar O size variance

I've just wrapped up the restoration of a little prewar Lionel Ives 1501 windup loco. With that, I'd thought I'd offer some size comparison pics of some prewar O tinplate locos.

Pictured left-to-right are:

Lionel 258 (custom paint)
Lionel 1681
Lionel Winner Lines 1015
Lionel Ives 1501

These are all O gauge, and they all have x-4-x wheel configurations.

TJ

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
I love O and O-27 simpley due the all the action accesory buildings/ industries. However I feel I would have a hard time making it all to scale like I did with my HO layout. Instead of making it realistic I may make it the Toy Train Layout.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
I love O and O-27 simpley due the all the action accesory buildings/ industries. However I feel I would have a hard time making it all to scale like I did with my HO layout. Instead of making it realistic I may make it the Toy Train Layout.
Like I alway say.........No matter what scale.......THEY ARE ALL TOYS.;)

The main thing you hear about 3 rail is the track is so unrealistic.
I guess some never saw a well built 3 rail layout, if you just can't get over the third rail then look at a well built O gauge 2 rail layout.

Or then step a size down to S, a little smaller and it has "realistic" two rail.:rolleyes:

Most HO or even N modelers will tell you that the number 1 reason they model HO (or N) is because of the size requirements needed for an O layout.

But in the end THEY ARE ALL TOYS.

I like them ALL no matter what size they are. :smokin:

·
Registered
209 Posts
The traffic over in another thread got me interested in looking at the Lionel freight cars at The Western Depot. Now I better understand why used cars sell for so much on eBay.

Every car I looked at specified a minimum curve of O-31. For example:

http://www.westerndepot.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_503_34_338/products_id/39627

Why would that be for a box car? I can understand something like a Berkshire locomotive binding up, but other than possibly looking funny, why would the above car not work on my O-27 layout?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
209 Posts
Learning... But Confused

Sometimes the trucks don't have the clearance to swivel sufficiently for O27 curves, that would be the normal reason for that restriction.
Fair enough.

It would appear that lack of swivel was built in on purpose. Although I am still learning, my best information is that my Pullman cars were made by Lionel. The cars are longer than the new-stock-for-sale case I cited and run quite well on my O-27 track.

O-27.jpg

Although I am not averse to rebuilding for O-31 curves, it would be great to know if Lionel's description for new stock is a requirement or a recommendation.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Admin
44,009 Posts
I suspect the only way to really know is to try them. Some of the recommendations are chiseled in granite, other cars it's just a "suggestion". I tried to run the Hogwart's locomotive on O31 curves, it's rated for O36. Even making a couple of mods, I still couldn't get it around the O31 curves! I just took the scale PFE Vision Line Reefers and pushed them around the few O27 curves I have in a box, they went around without a problem.

61 - 80 of 123 Posts