Model Train Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
#20 looks like the diamond at Palmer (MA), with a westbound just about the time they were single-tracking the B&A back around 1985 or so (I was getting qualified there back then).

I eventually worked on "both sides" of the diamond -- running Amtrak "inland route" trains on the B&A, and then running the Montrealer when it was using the Central Vermont after 1989...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
#20 looks like the diamond at Palmer (MA), with a westbound just about the time they were single-tracking the B&A back around 1985 or so (I was getting qualified there back then).

I eventually worked on "both sides" of the diamond -- running Amtrak "inland route" trains on the B&A, and then running the Montrealer when it was using the Central Vermont after 1989...
Very cool! I mentioned in my post I am modeling the scene... hopefully by tonight I’ll have enough track down to see it! I’m waiting on code 70 for the interchange trackage though...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update. I finished laying the engine facility area and it’s starting to fill up nicely. I’m in the process of overhauling older locos, building my roster on JMRI, and most importantly speed stepping everything together.

I also started laying the return loop, 2 storage tracks (which I did not plan properly because I ran out of room - I was assuming they would be roughly the same as my staging tracks, enough for 12-13 hi cubes and two locos, which I then build Springfield yard tracks to the same train length, but unless I build a bigger train room, I’ll have to survive. My two staging tracks in the return loop / Palmer, mass will have to be for locals. I also have about a 7 car interchange track and will have 2 yard tracks for New England central on the other side of the diamond.

My bridge tracks arrived from micro engineering but the post office decided to crush them, so I’m still on hold, and I’m waiting for the two 90 degree diamonds for Springfield to replicate the B+M conn river line crossing.

08D4456D-DE58-405D-92AF-1C1D43A78114_1581189700511.jpg 95FA2D54-5987-461E-8E69-789F9A7D99B0_1581189677451.jpg 88ACDF71-2A43-4BF8-944A-6BBC976BB971_1581189666204.jpg 8111B667-F90C-43F6-8D16-4FA89CB60F9B_1581189651286.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Quick update - been busy with the kids doing non-railroad related stuff (boo!) but my lower level mainline is complete. I installed the PSX-AR, had some shorting issues and a quick call to Tony’s train exchange had me lower a few cv values on my non-reversing breaker. I’m starting to lay the central Vermont yard in Palmer.

The RT-5 overpass is in with the flood wall between the road and the river. I had my #2 helper filling in the hill!

Next step will be to build the wall to support my upper level over the west end of Springfield yard... hoping to start that this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That is going to be a fun layout! #2 helper's smile says it all!
(Just don't get plaster on the jams! If mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!)
Yes, #1 already got some caulk on his school cloths when we were laying the cork roadbed through Palmer. I told mama it was the hazards of the job.

I have an understanding wife.

For now.

Lou

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Little update. Been spending WAY too much time indexing locomotives and speed stepping them. My old Athearn Blue Box all run like turds and makes it near impossible to speed step them accurately with my can motor Katos, atlas etc. I’m beginning a remotoring project on my Athearn GP40-2 with a kato motor and A-line universal drive shafts. Stay tuned.

Layout wise, I changed two big parts leaving Springfield yard headed west. I lowered the grade and decided a 1.5 turn helix would be best for operation. I also removed the double cross over and will move it, or something similar, to the top of the grade to eliminate any hidden switching.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
They certainly are!
Jr wanted to run some steam so out came a piece from my archives. First time she’s been out of the box in 20 years! Obviously out of place but damn does she look good.

Ah shucks don’t see a link for video uploads. It’s a Sante Fe type 2-10-4.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Ah shucks don’t see a link for video uploads. It’s a Sante Fe type 2-10-4.
If you upload it to YouTube, you can just copy and paste the URL. If you're trying to upload it directly from your computer, you might try clicking on the paperclip and uploading it as an attachment. I don't know if that works, I've never tried uploading a video straight off my computer.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts