Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm modeling a Conrail GP40-2.. Anyone know what kind of red ID lights on the corners as to what kind to use or who makes them? There are so many different sizes its confusing at times, was wondering if anyone has done a Conrail engine? I just want to add more detail to my Athearn.. Thank you

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The red lights were only used by Conrail and they are classification lights. They were turned on only if the train was an extra. I dont know of anyone that models them, I also dont know if any decoder will be able to switch them on as needed. You could use 2 3mm red LEDs to fill the hole but you may have to shave a little of the LED's diameter. Or a light pipe setup going to one or 2 LEDs would work too. Hope this helps.

Massey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The red lights were only used by Conrail and they are classification lights. They were turned on only if the train was an extra. I dont know of anyone that models them, I also dont know if any decoder will be able to switch them on as needed. You could use 2 3mm red LEDs to fill the hole but you may have to shave a little of the LED's diameter. Or a light pipe setup going to one or 2 LEDs would work too. Hope this helps.

Massey
Thank you... I wasn't sure on the diameter? That helps.. Thanks again appreciate that very much..

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
3mm LEDS are just about as small as you can get and stil be round with the leads comming off the back. Yes there are smaller LEDs out there but they are mainly surface mount and not user friendly when you are trying to mount them in a loco shell. The diameter of the lights lens on the loco is more than likely smaller than 3mm prolly closer to 1.5 or 2mm. This is why you may want to use a light pipe or something like that.

Massey

·
Registered
9 Posts
You don't necessarily need these red markers. Only "Phase III" conrail GP40-2s had them, and at some point, they were replaced with the "regular" kind of markers.

If you really must have them, a length of brass tubing does the job best on the nose, while cutting a notch in the long hood and installing a short section of tube will do the other side. paint the tips silver, and then add a red jewel or LED.

Former Reading (Phase I) and first order GP40-2s (Phase IIs) did not feature the "bug-eye" red markers, though they may still have glowed red.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts