Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is rolling stock available with construction equipment like tractor or dump truck? Or do you buy the diecast master trucks and put them on a flatbed?

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Generally, yes, you build your own, although I have seen vendors at train shows who sell ones they made.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Does anyone know if there is rolling stock available with construction equipment like tractor or dump truck? Or do you buy the diecast master trucks and put them on a flatbed?
thomashmaine;

I don't know of any flat cars that come with construction equipment on them. I do have some that came with two truck trailers attached.
There are many models of cranes, bulldozers, power shovels, dump trucks, etc. available in HO & N-scales. I suggest buying your favorite machines and loading them on a flatcar. Use stripwood chocks to copy prototype practice. They could also be tied down with gray or silver sewing thread to represent steel cables. If you want to be able to remove the machines, use tiny but powerful, round, rare-earth, magnets from Home Depot. The magnets could be mounted under the flat car deck, and a tiny bit of steel sheet could be super glued to the bottom of the machine.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
There are a few good makers of construction vehicles, e.g., bulldozers etc.
Norscot makes some nice ones, pre painted and RTR.
Woodland Scenics has a really nice bulldozer (bottom photo) that you paint yourself.
The flatcar could be just about any type or era.
s-l400 (21).jpg
s-l400 (34).jpg
wd0233b.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you guys go with a 42 or 53 ft flat car? I have tighter turns and smaller layout. I am thinking 42 but what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thomashmaine;

I don't know of any flat cars that come with construction equipment on them. I do have some that came with two truck trailers attached.
There are many models of cranes, bulldozers, power shovels, dump trucks, etc. available in HO & N-scales. I suggest buying your favorite machines and loading them on a flatcar. Use stripwood chocks to copy prototype practice. They could also be tied down with gray or silver sewing thread to represent steel cables. If you want to be able to remove the machines, use tiny but powerful, round, rare-earth, magnets from Home Depot. The magnets could be mounted under the flat car deck, and a tiny bit of steel sheet could be super glued to the bottom of the machine.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a picture of what the strip wood chocks would look like?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
My thoughts would be that you use any flatcar or gondola which is appropriate to your layout. Shipping is done by whatever cars the railroad has available, and if the equipment requires two cars instead of one to transport then that's just too bad for the construction company who is paying the costs.

Basically there is no right or wrong answer, you could even use 30' cars if the load fits. If you want to be accurate to prototype then all that matters is whether the flatcar is rated for the weight of the equipment. For example, if your flatcar is rated for 30 tons and your bulldozer weighs 40 tons then that would be a bad match.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a picture of what the strip wood chocks would look like?
thomashmaine;

I don't have a model flatcar with construction equipment for the load. Look online for real trains and flatcar loads. The idea behind chocks is simply to keep the wheels from rolling. The chocks are just pieces of 6 x 6 or larger lumber pushed up against both sides of each wheels. Chocks and tie downs vary in type and size so just about anything you use will do. Just think like the guy loading real heavy equipment on a railroad flat car. He doesn't want the machine to slide off the flatcar, so he ties it down, and may chock the wheels. In the navy, I served on an aircraft carrier. Every plane was tied down with multiple chains and had chocks on all the wheels. Ships at sea roll and pitch. The deck does not stay nice and steady all the time, hence the tie downs.

Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have a couple drop center and a couple 4 truck flat cars that I use for stuff like that. I have a transformer on a Depressed center flat car. I’ll post pics in a few. The quad truck flat car is athearn blue box and I think the depressed center is Ahm. I also have a couple 6 axle flats from bachmann.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do a search on Ebay, "flat car construction", plenty show up and can give you ideas if your not interested in purchasing as well a Google "image" search.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts