Model Train Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
German, Swiss, and Austrian outline. HO/HOm
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Started this morning on Langwies again by removing all of the catenary along the main line. This catenary will be replaced by multiple track truss spans along the length of the station. Some masts will be reused as pull-offs on the outside track of the station, and one or two for the short storage tracks.

I did a final check for even-ness along the edge of the existing sub-roadbed and placed two shims on the supports on the east approach. A final sanding for high spots with the orbital sander and I was satisfied. Drilled, countersunk, and attached the new sub-roadbed to the supports. Afterwards I used a spray adhesive and attached the new cork for one continuous surface upon which to build the station area.

The two main turnouts were installed, and it can be noted where the standard gauge rail was removed. The east approach has a curved turnout into the station area as I didn't have quite enough horizontal length to work a straight turnout into the track a bit farther west. This would have conflicted with the additional turnouts that haven't yet arrived that connect the other tracks.

Trains were tested and I'm satisfied with operations. There's a little bump on the west turnout due to the difference between Code 70 and Code 83 rail, but It's hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
German, Swiss, and Austrian outline. HO/HOm
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Waiting on manual turnout throws for the Tillig turnouts. These are constructed without pivots for the closure rails and they stay centered between the stock rails. I didn't know this about Tillig turnouts, but these seem very well built if not a bit on the delicate side.

The throws are coming from Caboose Industries and can be altered to look like RhB thows with the correct indicator and a little paint.

Tracks are just laid out and I'm figuring out track spacing at the moment. Probably do a bit of work on Sunday but can't permanently lay any track until those throws arrive.

Track and two turnouts are Peco HOm, four remaining turnouts are Tillig TT scale. Peco seems to be absent nearly everywhere in HOm for both left and right turnouts and I was lucky to find the two I needed for the entry and exits into and out of the station area for the main line.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts