Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's

I need a little help. Last spring our club did it's annual Day out with Thomas display. I had made up a Slinky dog pull toy with trucks on it. It went over very well. since then I have run it at 3 or 4 shows. It's alway's get a lot of good comments. Also Toy Story 4 is due out this year so it might be a good time to produce this. So when Lionel came out to Novi Mi last week I thought I would show it to them.

So I put little slinky dog in a box and took it to the Lionel booth. I'm not sure who I talked to but she liked it and told me to go to the Lionel web site and use the " Contact Lionel " option. Well all you can do there is leave a text message. You can guess the rest of the story, Haven't heard a word.

Do any of you have and contact info at Lionel ? I'm not looking to make any money here, I just think it's a good idea and if it can be made it will be fun for the consumer and maybe Lionel can make a couple bucks on it. A win win situation.

Here are a couple of pictures and a video. Any thoughts ?

d1.jpg

d5.jpg

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

P

·
0 Posts
Very clever idea.

Call their customer service phone number and ask for the e-mail address for product development.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have to steal that idea for our clubs Open Houses!!

Well done!! :thumbsup:
thanks.
It was one of the quickest projects I've ever done. Hard to see but there is a piece of sheet metal " painted black" on top of the truck, just wide enough for the feet on the pull toy. Just glue it all together.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I contacted Lionel a few months ago to give them some ideas of a product they could do that they did in the past. I got a returned email with a copy & paste of their legal mumble jumbo about submitting product ideas. The first part of their email was in all capital letters stating that they don't accept any solicited product ideas. They also said the submission of my idea was not in the proper format and would not be accepted or even furthered review. My idea was something they produced back in the late 1990's but I suggested one change to the item. I was so turned off by their returned email that I will never again suggest anything to Lionel.

Lionel is not the same from a few years ago. They have become very corporate instead of being open to listen to their customers ideas or even wanting their up front people to pass ideas onto their marketing department. I suspect they have done this because they were receiving a lot of product ideas and needed to protect themselves by creating a legal statement for submitted product ideas but to me it came across that they were brushing me off in a rude manner in how they wrote their statement.

You have a great idea but I suspect you might be treated the same way I was. I don't know for sure but maybe Bachmann or MTH is more open in receiving new product ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have a great idea but I suspect you might be treated the same way I was. I don't know for sure but maybe Bachmann or MTH is more open in receiving new product ideas.

Thanks for the complement. I'm sure they get lots of idea's and reject most of them but, at least say thanks and move on. Just think what would have happen if they had the same attitude when the guy brought the milk car to the old man.

A guy in our club said he modified one of the spouts on a water tower. Showed to to Lionel and they had no response. Then the next year he said they used his modification.

I don't know, do we blame the company or the layers, or both ?
pretty sad when you think about it. Here is a though, Maybe I should just post it on Facebook in Lionel's board.

Like many people on this forum I'd just like to share an idea so we all can enjoy the hobby a little more.

Thanks for the input....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey Stoshu,
Personally, I think that is the funniest train related things that I have seen in a long time! I have a Thomas and Friends on my layout that is there specifically for smaller peeps to run when they visit my layout. They get to run Thomas using the remote...and it is always a hit.
Just as an FYI...I will be using your idea...and Slinky is on his way from the Bay! Next I need to pick up a couple of trucks, assemble, test...and then can’t wait to see the kids eyes as they pull that “Springer Spaniel” as part of the Thomas consist...:)
Thanks for the idea...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Very cool and innovative DIY car.

One suggestion: Use Lione's contact text only route, but put a link to the video (YouTube upload and share link, or google drive, etc.).

The link is only text but they can click on it in the received msg.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Like many people on this forum I'd just like to share an idea so we all can enjoy the hobby a little more.

Thanks for the input....

I agree with you completely. With my email to "Talk to Us" at Lionel, I had no intention of wanting to make anything off the idea I submitted but I was somewhat shocked when I received this very long legalized email from them in return. I know that others have expressed the same interest to Lionel in the past about my suggestion so I sent them a nice email to them with my suggestion.

However, I think it was how there customer service rep interpreted the email as a product idea; therefore, she did her job in how she was trained by automatically sending their legal response. The reality is she probably has very little knowledge of Lionel's product lines.

If you can get you idea in front of the right person at Lionel then you might get a listening ear. One persons that seems to take interest is Megan. I don't know her last name but she appears in many videos for Lionel. Her position is with the development of the more traditional and licensed products for Lionel. She also attends some of the train shows for Lionel. Here she is in video so you can see who she is....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not to be harsh, but we need to get real, lawyers rule the intellectual property area. Lionel and MTH probably have five lawsuits a year (or a ton more) from people trying to gouge some sort of idea ownership. If the idea is good, go to shark tank and see if Mark Cuban wants in.

·
16,666 Posts
No comment on the (lacking) Lionel customer service.

However ...

The video of Slinky Dog on the tracks in awesome! Love this idea!!!

TJ

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the dog was trying to bite the end of the wiener, it would be even cooler! :p:p
what we did do in front of slinky is get a prewar flat car with steaks and put a real hot dog on it. It fit perfectly. The on the backside of slinky we put a disconnect flat car with a plastic poop emoji on it. The possibilities are endless....

Thanks for all the great comments guy's

P

·
0 Posts
Stoshu, the thought crossed my mind that you have an option to exercise the entrepreneur spirit, and since it is your original idea, why not make some and offer them for sale. No red tape from anyone else. Sell then on-line and/or the York Meet. If you can't make it to this Meet, get a vendor to sell them for you there.

You get all of the credit and maybe make a few bucks along the way.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stoshu, the thought crossed my mind that you have an option to exercise the entrepreneur spirit, and since it is your original idea, why not make some and offer them for sale. No red tape from anyone else. Sell then on-line and/or the York Meet. If you can't make it to this Meet, get a vendor to sell them for you there.

You get all of the credit and maybe make a few bucks along the way.

IT did cross my mind but the slinky dog is a licensed Disney toy. You think Lionel has layers... I bet Disney also has a couple...
Besides I'd be upstaged when GRJ put's TMCC and music in his. Thanks for the vote of confidence though.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts