Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Santa Fe FT dummy unit that matches my FT powered unit. I am having trouble finding a match. There are a few FT powered units available but no non-powered units available.

I am now considering buying another FT powered unit and converting it into a dummy. Is this conversion process difficult?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
You just have to remove the motors from the trucks, remove the motor from the motor mount and put the mount back in to hold the trucks. Most are easy but Lionel is more of a task due to the way the trucks are mounted to the frame. Many more screws in difficult to access places. sometimes the screws are even loctitied in.
Williams, MTH, and K-Line are easy.

Pete

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I made an MTH GP9 into a dummy once the way that Pete described. I bought a weaver GP38 for cheap recently with the same thing in mind. The Weaver drive makes it not so easy so it is still a powered unit.

Why not have 2 powered A units?

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
I have many unpowered units as I like to mix MTH and Lionel engines together.

I buy my engines from eBay for the most part. If you want to have an unpowered unit, MTH Proto 1 engines seem to go as cheap as regular unpowered units. The level of detail may differ, but a Proto1 engine is a good start for any “un-powering” project…

Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree why not have two power units
My current FT is Lionchief/bluetooth. If I purchase a conventional FT will there be a power conflict?

In order for bluetooth FT to work properly I have to turn the power up on my 1033 transformer all the way up. I throttle the speed using the LionChief app or controller. But the conventional FT will speed up llike crazy due to the transformer being cranked up all the way.

How do I deal with this?

·
Registered
9,857 Posts
That's what decals are for. 😉
Ron045 has perhaps the final part of what I would recommend. Buy another and the remote will control two (or more) of the same road number. The Stand Fe FT is easy to "re-decal" you could simple use a printer and make a similar square plate of paper witha different road # on and just glue it over the existing number (150, or whatever it is). Done right it would look fine from even three inches away, and be indistinguishable in normal viewing. If you want to run that dual-powered A-A set with one unit backwards, as was normally done, you can remove the shell and just reverse the leads on the motor. Not nearly as hard in my estimation as removing all the motor and gears to make a power unpowered. I've done this entire suite of tricks to several Lionchief sets I have had, including one FT AA set. Works great.

Reactions: Ron045
1 - 11 of 11 Posts