Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been converting my old horn hook to the new Kadee's. I have quite a few older bachmann and tyco cars. How do/ what kind of Kadee will fit in the reciever. I can put one in but it is unstable due the the pin being small.

Horn Hook.jpg

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I don't even bother. It is usually better to replace the original
horn hook draft box with a Kadee. Because they are easier
to pre assemble, I prefer the Kadee #148, but the #5s work
just as well for my horn/hook replacements. I always
cut off any talgo coupler boxes and install the Kadee on
the body. It's best to have the 'insulated' Kadee height
gauge. In addition to coupler and 'hose' height,
it can determine if your car body is the right
height for the draft box. Sometimes you have to file down,
other times use a shim to reach the correct height.

Don

·
Registered
10,021 Posts
I agree with Don -- just replace the whole kit and caboodle.

Kadee has a PDF on their website which cross indexes their products to various car manufacturers and models. You might find that helpful.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Don is right. Although there are methods and parts available to do what you are thinking, it's probably not worth the effort unless you happen to have all that stuff already laying in your parts box.
Kadee makes conversion couplers (20-series I think if I recall correctly) that have parts to switch your talgo truck to knuckle couplers. Among those parts are a couple different sizes of plastic adapter rings that fit on the pin, which in turn the coupler fits onto - eliminating the looseness or instability.
Sometimes it's a great fix, sometimes not - I've used them more for installing EZ-mates or McHenrys than Kadees.
But for a good, reliable uncomplicated fix that you won't have to tinker with again, use Don's advice ;)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Yes, just replace the whole thing. I find #5s work with just about everything. Make sure you get the height gauge too.

·
Registered
10,021 Posts
But a direct link helps people like me go right to the info rather searching thru the whole site.
I was agreeing with you. In any event, I do 95% of my posting at work or on a tablet, neither of which is conductive to posting links (too finicky to c&p on the tablet; most sites restricted at work), so unless i can remember the exact URL, I don't bother.

More importantly, though, I have often discovered wonderful and useful things poking around on websites. Sure, it takes a while, but it's not a bad thing. Kind of like teaching a man to fish rater than giving him one.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It drives me nuts every time I go to hook up a car and the little Kadee spring has flown. Now I have to drop everything, find a spring, and install it. They must think we have hands the size of fairies, and an endless supply of springs that are GONE if you slip.
At least with horn hooks, they are always there and ready.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The fix is a toothpick with a tiny drop of cyano. I always thought model railroaders were a bunch of fairies anyway!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Yep,

Cycleops knows hot to stick it to you. Just a tiny dab on a toothpick
on the BOTTOM of the spring. Take care that none gets inside
the knuckle. The spring may pop off of it's top prong but it won't
take wing. I'm gradually getting all my Kadees stuck up.

Don

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
It drives me nuts every time I go to hook up a car and the little Kadee spring has flown. Now I have to drop everything, find a spring, and install it. They must think we have hands the size of fairies, and an endless supply of springs that are GONE if you slip.
At least with horn hooks, they are always there and ready.
Kadees come with extra springs floating around in the package.....just save them in a small zip-lock bag....I've got hundreds.....

Yeah, horn-hooks are all one piece....which is the reason they should be replaced because of the trouble they cause....:laugh:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the helpfull info. Im gonna try and conver them and see how it works first before I preminatly fix them to the body.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts