Model Train Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
That thread was about Atlas track. I have been using Gargraves since the mid 1980s and see little or no wear on the phantom line track center rail. I made some of the roadway black and some gray. Most of the track under the gray road is Gargraves and most under the black is O27. In hindsight, it might have been better to reverse that.
Oops. Your right. It was Atlas. Jogged my memory since you mentioned it. A senior moment?

Still looks good ... waiting for the trial runs.

"Hindsight. The bane of all us geniuses." Millstonemike 2019 - Citation required for use :)

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I haven’t been doing much on this project. Mostly because it’s been one problem after another. I removed, trimmed and reinstalled the grey center (between the rails) roadbed. Also installed the black center roadbed. Interesting that this batch of N scale roadbed had the cut line off center which made it easier to make the roadbed for the inner radius narrow.

Then I installed a DPDT switch so I could run either DCS or conventional. My SW1 wouldn’t clear a girder bridge (missed by about 1/16”) so I modified that to make it 3/8” higher. And my 44 tonner kept derailing at one curve so I removed the roadbed from that piece and adjusted the Gargraves flex track. The SW1, 44 tonner and my 0-4-0 all seem to run well now.

IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4686.JPG

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You know Bob, that's the risk with taking a finely tuned layout and modding it... but it looks like you are making progress. It's not a race my friend... it's an adventure! I look forward to seeing some video once you get her dialed in. :)

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A Little Progress

I’ve been making new platforms for the new Atlas train station. I modified the existing stairway to suit the new platform. Also bashed a Lionel pedestrian crossover so people don’t have to cross the street to get up to the station. Haven’t decided what I will put on the platforms to keep people from falling off. I’m considering the plastic wrought iron Lionel fence that Henning’s now makes and also Plastruct handrailing. Haven’t decided yet.

I’m also putting in a new building with an Ameritown front. I used Robert’s Mortar, but it came out too white. I hit it with some rust weathering. Now it’s not white enough…hard to see the mortar, but that’s how it’s going to stay.

Slow but steady...

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_4730.JPG

21 - 26 of 26 Posts