Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the caboose pictured and want to basically replace the incandescent light with an LED. I have the led"s with internal resistors. I cannot find a good video specific on this. Im assuming just interchanging some wires, but wanting to check. All help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
The caboose appears to be 0 Scale. Is that correct?
The wiring for an AC track requires a diode rectifier to
convert to DC as needed by LEDs.
You would disconnect the incandescent socket
and connect wires from your LED and diodes to
the former socket terminals or wires.

Don

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
The caboose appears to be 0 Scale. Is that correct?...
Yes, it's postwar O scale:

...The wiring for an AC track requires a diode rectifier to convert to DC as needed by LEDs..
As well as a way to drop the voltage to 4.5Vdc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is this any different from wiring the same led directly to track power to light my buildings excetera I have done this many times. Not challenging just curious

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
How is this any different from wiring the same led directly to track power to light my buildings excetera I have done this many times. Not challenging just curious
If the LED came with rectification and voltage regulation, then it's the same.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,695 Posts
Running led on a car is different. A large capacitor will help with the constant voltage. If you are particular you should research the setups for passenger cars where power interruption is not desired as much.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Running led on a car is different. A large capacitor will help with the constant voltage. If you are particular you should research the setups for passenger cars where power interruption is not desired as much.
Yeah ive seen some threads mentioning capacitor. I actually like the flicker of the light, kind of adds another dimension to the track. I put a couple in it last night, turned out well. I currently only have freight cars, and tsnk cars. I wanna get into some passenger cars.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The LED is a diode so yes it would work on a/c, being lit only on half cycles. GRJ (our moderator) has several small circuits suited for this type of application.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts