Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Mauser sells direct replacement screw-in, flange base, and bayonet and offset bayonet bulbs for 12V and 24V applications. Many others too.

You will have to research their on-line catalog which is a PITA. Paper is the way to go with Mouser, but they stopped sending regular catalogs unless you request one specifically.

When I was converting Korry 318 switches to LED, those bulbs were $11 each IIRC. I didn't convert too many. Each switch uses two bulbs and there are over 40 318's in a 727.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
EDIT: AmFlyer has the best answer.

Try Digikey. Here's a quick search narrowing down to the bazillion LED products to miniature bayonet and screw-in bulbs at 12 V.

Digikey shipping for a small parts order is reasonable at ~$4.

LED Replacement Lamps.png

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
There are surely cheaper sources of compatible LED replacements, $11 each sounds pretty steep!
It is steep. That"s why I only converted a few of the Korry indicators. The ones that were more ON than OFF most of the time.

That was a specialized bulb. I'm sure a run of the mill replacement LED can be had considerably cheaper than $11.

·
Registered
51 Posts
cheap LED's

This will probably ruffle a few feathers but if you go on Ebay and look for LED lamps from China, they are dirt cheap. I hate buying from overseas but I could not afford the $11 per bulb for American made. Have not had even one bad bulb and I have used about 100 of them so far. Also have used LED strip lights from the same place also with great results.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
This will probably ruffle a few feathers but if you go on Ebay and look for LED lamps from China, they are dirt cheap. I hate buying from overseas but I could not afford the $11 per bulb for American made. Have not had even one bad bulb and I have used about 100 of them so far. Also have used LED strip lights from the same place also with great results.
I doubt they're American made - likely bought from Chinese mfg.'s - there are exceptions. The US price reflects the costs of buying, stocking, selling and delivering them to you.

·
Admin
43,473 Posts
I get tons of stuff from China, including all my MTH and Lionel trains! Why should this ruffle feathers, if we stop buying Chinese trains, we'll all be running some pretty old stuff. :D

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
How can I convert the MTH lights to LEd's - if possible

thank you

MrToad
The bulbs in the yellow and red fixture seem to be part of the aesthetic design. Keeping that look may not be possible with LED replacements.

If your concern is bulb longevity, you could try running them at a slightly lower voltage. That increases bulb life. Also, powering them up gradually with a spare transformer reduces failures. Ever notice 9 out of 10 times an incandescent bulb blows when you hit the switch? That's due to the initial current surge. The resistance of the hot filament is well over tens times it's resistance when cold (i.e., the cold filament is 10X+ the load of a hot one).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts