Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a layout for a ledge in the corner of my basement. It is 7.5' x 9' in HO scale. It is a late transition era layout featuring GN and CBQ. I've tried to fit in a small yard at one end and a small town at the other. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

Registered
Looks good! One thing I question is you've got a couple of hidden switches. Are you planning some way of reliably knowing they're in the right position?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't able to avoid hidden switches entirely. My only plan for now is to hope for the best. Any suggestions?

Registered
I like the overall concept, and the idea of using hidden track to disguise the loop. I'm a little confused by what you have going on in the lower left, though. Unless you're planning to have some kind of vertical separation, your yard area has several tracks that are much too close to the hidden track. If you are planning that separation, I don't see how you can work the grade into the existing track plan.

Also, assuming your scale is 4 blocks to the scale foot (3"), then that tiny little track with the shed next to the turntable will be too short to be useable. Anything parked on that track would block the turnout.

You might want to consider using Tam Valley servos or the comparable Walthers system to control your turnouts. Both have an option for an LED indicator integrated with the activation switch that will show the position of the points.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
A closer look suggests that I can extend the layout an additional 6" on the lower left side. That would provide me room to get the clearances I currently lack and to make the short siding usable. Thanks for helping me to see that. It's always better to have more eyes.

Registered
Try to build a mock up of the turntable (TT) and engine house area. It is too tight to be workable (maybe).
For example, if the engine house is four inches from the turntable, one track can go straight in, the other will need a short 18" radius section directly off the TT.
Also the turnout near your water tower will have to be a #4, meaning short locos and short diesels will work there, but no steam with three drive wheels.

Again, build a mock up first as I did to squeeze my stuff in.;)
Notice my curve into the roundhouse. This was done to get the roundhouse as close as possible to the TT.
Most everything is 18" radious except for a 15" approx at the top right with a Atlas Snap-Switch. I only have a couple of locos that will make that turn.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, that is helpful. It looks as though you are trying to squeeze as much inside of a curve as I am.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts