Model Train Forum banner

Correct coupler for a Rivarossi locomotive

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  tkruger 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody. Thanks to Santa Claus, my oldest son is really into HO trains. A while back, one of my friends gave us a Rivarossi 4-6-6-2 GG-1 electric locomotive he had as a kid. Looking at the paperwork that was in the box I believe it dates from the late 60's. I don't think it had the correct couplers on it. I tried using Bachmann universal whisker spring couplers and two other types that I found on eBay that would supposedly fit the locomotive. The latest order was from IHC for a #6 large hole short shank coupler. That one fit in the mount but the whisker spring didn't fit properly ant the coupler wouldn't move back and forth when coupled with other cars. I can't find any part lists online for that particular locomotive. I also checked the Kaydee website and couldn't find any replacement. Any help/suggestions will be much appreciated! Land vehicle Vehicle Transport Locomotive Scale model
This is a picture I got from the internet. The coupler in the picture is not what is on the locomotive.

See less See more
#2 ·
Kadee has a coupler for every situation.
Over and under set, short, medium and long
shank.

What has been the difficulty with the couplers that
you tried?

I have several Bachmann diesels with their
plastic couplers. To replace them I need a short
shank Kadee. I have found that adding the Kadee
brass spring box will steady the coupler veritically.

Don

#4 ·
Rivarossi couplers

Thanx Cycleops and DonR for your reply. With Kaydee I was trying to use their conversion chart and couldn't find any match. I'll try again. The Bachmann whisker couplers worked OK but they would loosen up (the Rivarossi has a ridiculously small plastic friction fit pin) and weren't the exact height to match up with the other cars. I can certainly cob-job something but I was hoping for an exact match.

#5 ·
Not sure about your meaning of the 'small plastic fit pin'.

I have found in some situations where the original
draft box 'axle' for
the shank is too small. I cut the nub off the
#5 draft box. The nub fits over the small pin and is correct
for the Kadee shank thus stabilizes it.

Don

#10 ·
Thanks for the input tkruger, that coupler conversion looks like it might work. Currently I am using a Bachmann universal coupler and a small shim washer. It's working OK for the moment, but I like to do things right. One of my friends had that loco when he was a kid and gave it to my kids. Problem was it didn't have the proper coupler to begin with and I wasn't sure what to look for.
Real nice layout you have. I can't let my kid see those pictures. They are getting dissatisfied with the 4X8 piece of plywood on 'my' pool table.

#11 ·
That is a nice engine. Make sure the wheels etc are all clean. Also be warned it is a little too fast for its own good. It may take 18r curves with ease but will throw the cars off the track at speed. I have converted mine to DCC with sound. It is interesting to hear an electric, diesel and steam all running on the same layout.

Thanks for the comments about the layout. Unfortunately I will be loosing it in a few months due to moving. Starting over again with a new build then. Already started buying parts for that :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.