Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out the hard way that older couplings are not compatible with newer ones. Older ones are more pointed. What do people do if they want to mix old and new cars. I was thinking of grinding the point off the coupler.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coupler

Bad pic of the coupler but here it is. Its was used in 1948. The end is pointed but I think it might work if shaved down. How do you convert to newer couplers. Looks like everything is riveted together.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Well, you learn something new every day... I have never seen that type of coupler made by Lionel... You can always find some spare trucks on eBay, and like Tankist said you can switch one of the trucks on this car with one that matches a "regular" style O coupler... Of course you could just replace both trucks if the tanker is the only car like this that you have...

·
Yard Master & Research
10,637 Posts
I thought you were talking ON30. Those are Scout couplers, the solution was to turn them around and 8 bucks apiece you add a knuckle with a plate that attaches to the axles. I bought two last week. The left has the piece installed.
The Scout is on the right.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
coupler

I ground the point off the coupler last night and it works with the new ones now. Quick fix.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,637 Posts
Library of terms

I have a gondola I grounded off to fit also.
You may want to paint it. The plastic turns white and would be better if sealed.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coupler

I ground mine off with a course wheel on a bench grinder and they stayed black. Thanks for those truck pics, I understand now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts