Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the thongs on my wheel painting tool broke off the other day so I decided to buy a new one but at $19.00 I decided to create my own tool.
I noticed an O ring I had fit perfectly over a 33 inch wheel so I reworked a clothespin to hold the wheels securely and then put on the O ring. I hand painted the wheels with some earth red Model Master acrylic paint. The clothespin makes it very easy to hold and paint.

George

wheel_painting_tool.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you have a 3d printer, you can make a new one from 13 cents worth of filament ..
go to thingiverse to download the stl if you want ..
And how much does that cost? I mean the printer. I spent about $3.00 on my new wheel painting tool and the wheels don't stuck. George

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
My mind is setup to miss things that cost me money.
Yes, the 3D printer costs money, but amortize it over the cost of all the things you can and do print. Mine cost $500, but it has paid for itself several times over already, even counting the cost of the resin.

Saying "that costs money, therefore I don't want it" is going to sub optimize many outcomes. Yes, if you bought s 3D printer ONLY for the purpose of reprinting that tool, it would be an enormous waste of money. But considering all the things you can make with them, even if you have absolutely no ability at 3D modeling, it's a pretty darned good investment.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the 3D printer costs money, but amortize it over the cost of all the things you can and do print. Mine cost $500, but it has paid for itself several times over already, even counting the cost of the resin.
Now and then I hit a big horse bet. If I hit one I'll think about it. George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts