Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some advice on setting up my cross-overs. I have 2 'old school' Tru-Scale wooden roadbed pieces that i'm trying to figure out how to control.

Have seen several threads here showing options from Tortise, Peco, Walthers, as well as discussions on using Servos. During a recent train show here in North Texas, I had a discussion on the later (Servo's) and i'm leaning towards that route, but would like to get inputs.

Best i can tell, for using Servos, i'd need:
4- Servo Machines (SG90 seems to be most popular)
A Quad pic Servo Decoder module - TAM Valley Depot
a couple of "Y" Servo cables
a couple of fascia cross-over controller modules (3 LED)
probably some extension cables as well

I'm using a DC power supply(Lionel 90w), with an 18v AC acc output.

I'd appreciate confirmation that my checklist is accurate, and/or inputs on alternatives that i may have missed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Servo expert

I'd like some advice on setting up my cross-overs. I have 2 'old school' Tru-Scale wooden roadbed pieces that i'm trying to figure out how to control.

Have seen several threads here showing options from Tortise, Peco, Walthers, as well as discussions on using Servos. During a recent train show here in North Texas, I had a discussion on the later (Servo's) and i'm leaning towards that route, but would like to get inputs.

Best i can tell, for using Servos, i'd need:
4- Servo Machines (SG90 seems to be most popular)
A Quad pic Servo Decoder module - TAM Valley Depot
a couple of "Y" Servo cables
a couple of fascia cross-over controller modules (3 LED)
probably some extension cables as well

I'm using a DC power supply(Lionel 90w), with an 18v AC acc output.

I'd appreciate confirmation that my checklist is accurate, and/or inputs on alternatives that i may have missed.
Lji1221;

I can't answer your question since I don't use servos. However, CTValleyRR, our resident servo expert and promoter, is a frequent contributor to the forum and he certainly can. He visits every day or two so you shouldn't have to wait long. You could also send him a private message if you want to. That's some nice looking track in your photo! Tortoise is a DC stall motor, Peco machines are the twin-coil type and the Walthers switch machine actually is a servo. The Walthers machine is similar to CTV's favorite Tam Valley servos, but at a higher price.

good luck;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Ahh, Tru-Scale.
I remember it well.
Love that stuff! My old Alameda South Coast RR was done with it. Great times.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Not knowing the specifics of how your layout is set up and what other devices you have or other turnouts you may control with servos, you're on the right track. I have been using Tam Valley Depot products for about a dozen years now, and love them. Installation and operation could not be simpler.

I'm assuming you have seen this diagram from the TVD website:

580_Switchwright_illustrations.004.jpg

Also, I'm concerned that the power supply you plan on using is a little too robust for the circuitry. A 30W power supply is more than adequate.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss specific material lists and installation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts