Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently have the Lionel CSX Intermodal LionChief set. I'm strongly considering buying the CSX LionChief Plus SD60M. It seems like a great way to get a scale engine without fully investing in the Legacy system.

However, the different scales have me a bit confused. I believe the Intermodal set is "traditional" scale. The LionChief Plus SD60M is "scale". I've also seen the term "standard". What I would like to know is:

1. Will the rolling stock that comes with the CSX Intermodal set look okay with the CSX LionChief Plus SD60M?

2. Will the rolling stock tha comes with the ready to run set work with the electro couplers on the LionChief Plus SD60M? Or does a "scale" engine mean that it has scale couplers?

It's hard to get a clear undestanding of what works together and looks good together with the usage of the various scale terms. I haven't found a source that clearly compares "scale", "standard", and "traditional".

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
1. Will the rolling stock that comes with the CSX Intermodal set look okay with the CSX LionChief Plus SD60M?
Probably. Some traditional stuff looks good with scale. Some doesn't. Intermodal is pretty big so I think you'd be okay.

2. Will the rolling stock tha comes with the ready to run set work with the electro couplers on the LionChief Plus SD60M? Or does a "scale" engine mean that it has scale couplers?
YES

It's hard to get a clear undestanding of what works together and looks good together with the usage of the various scale terms. I haven't found a source that clearly compares "scale", "standard", and "traditional".

Almost all O-Gauge three-rail locos - traditional, semi-scale, standard, scale, whatever . . will run together, couple together, etc. Whether they look good together is another matter and is somewhat a function of taste.

BTW I have two of the PC+ SD60s. They are really nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did see that thread; however, I have to admit I didn't read all of it.

I get that mixing scales comes down to personal taste; however, I didn't find anything in that thread that clarified whether or not a Lionel Scale engine had different couplers than a Lionel Traditional engine.

I did even think about the possability of different couplers until I read that some of the rolling stock can be converted to scale couplers. Once I read that I started to wonder if a scale engine had scale couplers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
@Lee Willis
Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like I'm running out of reason to not go spend $500-ish.
Sure. There are scale couplers out there, but almost all three-rail O-Gauge locos have the the big lobster claw couplers you are used to seeing. I know the LC+ SD60s do, and as far as I know everything made by Lionel, WBB and MTH does, too, whether it is scale or traditional/semi-scale.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I recently purchased some of the Lionel non-scale intermodal cars and they look great behind my Lionmaster Conrail SD80MAC's. They might look a bit small behind a scale locomotive however as the containers are technically S scale if you have the same ones I have.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Are the Lionchief + scale SD60's the same size as Lionel or MTH scale SD-60's ?

Bill
I pretty sure they are not only the same size, but the same body. On the other hand I do not have a Legacy SD60M to compare them to.

The 2017 Signature catalog lists both the Legacy and LC+ versions of the SD60M on back-to-back pages (Legacy on pages 18-19, LC+ on pages 20-21). Length (18 1/2 inches) is listed as the same, as is the minimum diameter curve it will take (36"), and the LC+ description of the loco says "Same body detailing as the Legacy SD60M . . ."

My LC+60Ms are really nice, and look as detailed and well-done as many recent Legacy locos I bought. They certain seem full scale. I have SD90s, 70s, 24s and other diesels in scale, and they fit right in, looking perfectly the right size.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's confusing and I just forget about and don't try to keep up. O Gauge, O Scale, O27, On27. It comes up for me when I buy used cars - older Lionel, MTH that are in those smaller boxes. Then you go to the LHS and buy a rolling stock piece and it's obvious there is a size difference.

But there are differences in size of rolling stock so I just try to not to make it obvious. There are some huge O54 curve stuff that looks too large next to an old car, so they don't run together on my layout.

I do agree the couplers may be an issue but I don't know or think that couplers have been universal for the past 65 years. But I am not sure. I just make it work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone.

At this point I'm leaning towards picking up the LC+ SD60M and using the traditional rolling stock I have. Over time I'll pick up the scale stuff to match.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Thanks everyone.

At this point I'm leaning towards picking up the LC+ SD60M and using the traditional rolling stock I have. Over time I'll pick up the scale stuff to match.

That is a good plan. I think much of your traditional stuff you will decide to keep and run with it even when you have scale rolling stock.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts