Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HO train set from the early 1980s had a Gulf oil tanker car that appears to be, I'd say, at least 54' actual scale. I pulled out my old trains after having them in storage a few decades and realized that I haven't seen an actual tanker car of this length since my childhood. I was curious if there was some change to the regulations that required tanker cars to be only half of this length. I have seen tanker cars since, but they have all been roughly half the length of the car that I have in my set. Just curious if the regulations have changed and these long tanker cars in the real world are now obsolete? I'd imagine one of these cars derailing could be catastrophic.
20200620_232300.jpg

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
The length of the car depends on the commodity it is intended to carry. Tank cars have become more uniform in size these days, but earlier tanks that carried propane or other refined gasses, were quite long as the liquid propane tends to be lighter and less dense than oil for instance.

I worked for a railroad that served a refinery back in the 1980’s. We had asphalt cars that were a bit shorter than the gas cars, but the asphalt and fuel oil cars were approximately the same size, as the commodity carried were similar in density. The propane cars were bigger back then.

Then we had a car which only appeared every few months. They called it a “lead car” and it was tiny...only about 30’ long but almost as heavy as a 60’ tanker when loaded. I believe it carried tetraethyllead which was added to gasoline to produce leaded gas.

Any regulation about car size is likely minimal. Size may be due to standardization of car designs, which include safety elements and ease of maintenance...

Tom

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
That is a Tyco? Works out to about 60/62'. 3 domed, 3 different products could be hauled.
I have never seen a tanker compartmentalized to haul propane. Just chemicals or oils, etc.
All the tankers I have seen for propane are 1 domed. (only haul 1 product)
Here is a picture of one of our 3 domed, ( hauls 3 different products) this one was dedicated for Naphtha's.
I would guess the length is around 60'?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I agree , J.Albert, that it's probably a fantasy :D

"Tank cars currently range widely in size from 40 to 60 feet in length and capable of hauling between 15,000 to more than 30,000 gallons. One interesting design from DuPont during the 1980s featured a car that could handle 43,800 gallons which was well over 60 feet in length, requiring the use of four trucks (16 axles)."

-From american-rails.com

·
Registered
690 Posts
Haha I would guess that to be the one.... I say, looks like there are 4 axles per truck! Or, two trucks per bolster... something new to model,,, 😄
Wonder could I keep it on the track in N-scale...
edit: four trucks, two span bolsters.

·
Registered
690 Posts
ya,,
I think the point of interest (to me) is the span bolsters. If each of the four trucks swivels as normal, then the car conforms to any curve radius. 😊

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never seen a car that long with 4 trucks before! Its truly amazing how much weight those cars/locomotives can carry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts