Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do Lionel people want their trains to look new, or mint, like "toy" trains, while HO modelers weather theirs to give them authenticity and realism...?
Just wondering......
Charlie.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Lionels are caricatures of trains and not scale models, weathering would look out of place. Even MTH's more scale oriented equipment tends to look out of place when weathered....er...at least that's my take.:D

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Charlie,

Good question. I think there's two general types of collectors / enthusiasts. Those that go for a sense of realism (HO, N, etc.) with accurately scaled detailing, and those that enjoy the somewhat-toylike feel and nostalgia of model trains (O, some S). There's exceptions to all scale/types, of course, but in general, I think Shay's reference to "caricatures" is well said.

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Not true at all, a lot like their O weathered.

This seller on e bay gets a good buck for his work and all ways has a bunch of bidders.

Ho has more detail?......right.... check out his detailing!:rolleyes:

http://shop.ebay.com/industrialmodels/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Mark him in your favorite sellers and keep an eye on his work. Just one word describes it.

Excellent!:cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good points all. The picture of a Christmas tree with ornaments and lights, with presents under it, all lend themselves to the "toy" premise...the caricature idea.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
Why do Lionel people want their trains to look new, or mint, like "toy" trains, while HO modelers weather theirs to give them authenticity and realism...?
Just wondering......
Charlie.
It is the difference between modeling and collecting.:cool:

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Not all who own HO weather them you know?

All forgot to say too is that HO takes up a lot less room and is cheaper to finance.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My take on it is this: look at the age of the item being discussed. There is a tendency, with very old Lionel and others, to restore a battered piece to it's original splendor. This feeling might be characterized by the observation that a 60-year-old locomotive that is still running deserves better than the rust and battering that those years left it. On the other hand, a three-year old boxcar that cost $10 new is a prime candidate for experimentation toward realistic appearance. We age the new and restore the old: it's like imparting maturity to the young and honoring the elders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts