Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
Looks good. How many miles on it since restoration? Obviously it has been well cared for but it does not appear to be a garage queen. Do you drive it much.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
My '65 had a red dash pad and red headliner. Was black an option that year?

Nice looking paint, but that engine bay needs a lot of work before I would consider it 'restored'.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lee, I purchased it in 1988 or 89 with 78K miles. Currently, it has 91K miles. The restoration was complete around 1994. Vija and I drove it around from 94 to 2004. It was a six month per year car during those times. Winter storage back then. In 2004 we bought a Mini Cooper S model and gave the Mustang to our son Curt. He has had it up in Erie Pa. ever since.

The restoration was a ground up job. Starting with the suspension, replacement and repair of frame members, floor pans body sheetmetal and all things in-between. I replaced the braking system and used Ford Granada dicsc brakes in the front.

In the picture of the engine compartment, you can see an export brace from the fire wall to the shock towers. Also there is a pannard bar running cross wise in front the export brace. When these parts came in, they would not fit. The car had sagged over time. So, I jacked it up, set it on jack stands so that it would hang from the middle of the car with the front and rear in free air. After six or so months, the export brace and pannard bar lined up so they could be installed and bolted up.

It was a very long process, working on the car evenings and weekends. When I took it in for paint, the body shop guys smiled, and asked me if I wanted it painted as it was, or if I wanted it to look right. They meant that they would take it back apart and realign everything som it would be straight. Of course, I chose the latter and had it painted Dodge Viper red. So, th e paint job is 26 years old and still looks like it did when the body shop was finished.

I was pretty proud of that car and it's overall performance. I changed engine internals to get some increased horsepower, but it still had a factory 3 speed automatic, so I wasn't expecting to win any street races with it. The points and condenser were replaced with a Petronix system and an MSD ignition. It has run that way ever since. It has an Edelbrock 450 CFM 4V carb and medium rise manifold. The exhaust system is stainless steel.

When all was said and done, I had about $24K into the car. It has no where near that value, but it was a fun project for me. Once before I had attempted a 32 model B Ford roadster. It was a rocket-ship, but also a rolling death trap. I didn't keep it very long.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My '65 had a red dash pad and red headliner. Was black an option that year?

Nice looking paint, but that engine bay needs a lot of work before I would consider it 'restored'.
Michael, this car originally had a putrid green dash pad. It was cracked and unusable. I opted for the black dash, although the recommendation was for a God-awlful sort of burgundy dash pad. As for the engine e compartment, you have got to consider that the restoration was done in 1994, and the car has been driven for 26 years. And, engines of those years are dirty. It looked better, but never was a consideration for total restoration. It was repainted but I missed the hood hinges. I never tried to build a show car, just a driver that looked and ran pretty good. It was my only attempt, ever to restore a car, or anything for that matter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts