Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I `m looking to add another curved turn out, but can`t seem to find what I`m looking for.
In the pics I have an existing curved turn out that is the exact size I`m looking for. I installed it about 5 years ago and can`t identify the manufacturer.
I mostly buy atlas track, and recently purchased a curved turn out from them. The section is too long and the radius doesn`t match what I currently have.
I took a side by side pic to help illustrate the difference.
Does anyone know off hand if this size/type of turn out is still available?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
What are the two radii? If I had to guess from the images, it's a Walthers/Shinohara curved #8 turnout.

Where I have needed a unique turnout, I overlay two lengths of tracks to get the curve geometry right at either exit/entrance, and mark a piece of paper below the tracks using a pencil. I make the pencil tip weave in and out of the tie ends all along the two sides. Mark the frog well. Then build it with rail stock and PCB ties.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are the two radii? If I had to guess from the images, it's a Walthers/Shinohara curved #8 turnout.

Where I have needed a unique turnout, I overlay two lengths of tracks to get the curve geometry right at either exit/entrance, and mark a piece of paper below the tracks using a pencil. I make the pencil tip weave in and out of the tie ends all along the two sides. Mark the frog well. Then build it with rail stock and PCB ties.
I had never considered building my own switch, but I might have to, thanks.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
So you ask of that type of turnout is still made, the answer is quite obviously yes: several companies make curved turnouts. Whether that exact geometry is still made is a different question. No two manufacturers make turnouts to exactly the same specs (length of the legs), but if you know the radii, that would help you find something close.

I'm going to disagree with mesenteria that the installed turnout is a Walthers /Shinohara. It has hinged point rails, and none of my 7 Walthers /Shinoharas have that feature. That's more a characteristic of an Atlas unit but as you have pointed out, their current offering seems to have changed.

One problem you're going to have at the moment is that a lot of model railroading stuff is tied up in the backlog of shipping waiting to be unloaded at West Coast ports, so a lot of it is out of stock pending orders. But you might try a couple of different brands and see if one is closer than the Atlas.

If you absolutely MUST have an exact duplicate (and ask yourself if you REALLY do), then I would agree that scratch-building one is your best option.

Reactions: SB2016

·
Registered
444 Posts
That installed turnout in question looks to me to be made by Cassadio or Roco. Good luck finding an exact replacement. No sarcasm implied.
When I get around to it, I will look through my stock of dual radius turnouts. I know I have a few of those I mentioned. In order to help you with your radi search.
If by chance, that is an Atlas turnout, it is probably an original #6. No longer made by Atlas it seems. Whereas your other one sitting beside it looks to be a #8 or, a revised #6. Either way, its a fail between the two for you obviously.
Remind me via PM if you care to and, I’ll look through my stock to check radius to help you in your search.

Scott

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

I'm going to disagree with mesenteria that the installed turnout is a Walthers /Shinohara. It has hinged point rails, and none of my 7 Walthers /Shinoharas have that feature. That's more a characteristic of an Atlas unit but as you have pointed out, their current offering seems to have changed.

I purchased five W/S curved# 7.5 and a single #8 when I built my second layout in 2006. All of them have hinged points rails. The hinge is of the 'loose joiner' type, not a pinned hinge. But, they are hinged. But, you may still be correct that these are not W/S turnouts. The examples I own don't have the wide feet on either side of the base of the hinge. Mine are almost invisible.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
I purchased five W/S curved# 7.5 and a single #8 when I built my second layout in 2006. All of them have hinged points rails. The hinge is of the 'loose joiner' type, not a pinned hinge. But, they are hinged. But, you may still be correct that these are not W/S turnouts. The examples I own don't have the wide feet on either side of the base of the hinge. Mine are almost invisible.
Sorry I was not specific: I was referring to the pinned / riveted hinges that I seem to see in the photographs. I don't think of the W/S arrangement as a hinge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That installed turnout in question looks to me to be made by Cassadio or Roco. Good luck finding an exact replacement. No sarcasm implied.
When I get around to it, I will look through my stock of dual radius turnouts. I know I have a few of those I mentioned. In order to help you with your radi search.
If by chance, that is an Atlas turnout, it is probably an original #6. No longer made by Atlas it seems. Whereas your other one sitting beside it looks to be a #8 or, a revised #6. Either way, its a fail between the two for you obviously.
Remind me via PM if you care to and, I’ll look through my stock to check radius to help you in your search.

Scott
I matched the radius of the turn out in question with a piece of track I had on hand. It matches an atlas 18" radius curve track. I believe you may be right, it could be a #6 that atlas doesn't carry any longer.
I may try modifying the other turn out as suggested in the thread.
Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It look like it a Atlas by the look of the frog, Atlas # was NS-275, MS 255 for brass, 22" outside 18" inside

This is a brass one I have
Rectangle Cutting mat Aqua Circuit component Pattern

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It look like it a Atlas by the look of the frog, Atlas # was NS-275, MS 255 for brass, 22" outside 18" inside

This is a brass one I have
View attachment 571533

That looks like the one.
Perfect, thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts