Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve started gathering information on some friends and relatives to find out their ranks in the armed forces for my model troop train I’m in the process of making. I would like to include their name and rank on a car for each service member. Is there any companies that make custom water slide decals? I know that they sell water slide paper for printers but I’m not a computer person and don’t own a printer. My only reason I’ve got a computer is for jmri decoder pro. I would like to avoid buying a printer to model a single train also. Thank you in advance for any input on the subject

·
Registered
120 Posts
a cheap printer and a six pack of paper [three white, three clear] would -probably- cost you less than a 'custom' sheet ready to use ...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think it would cost me well over $100? That seems outrageous to me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yes, using some one elses printer would bring the costs down quite a bit ...
as well, you could see if you could get free decal paper donated by some kind individual ??
that would get costs down into your budget range, i imagine ??

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree with the printer route. Much cheaper and easier. You don't need fancy software, you could probably do it in power point pretty quickly.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
I can buy a printer up here for $39.99.....not a huge cost and you will find more uses than decals for it, believe me.....just have to be careful that the ink cartridges are inexpensive to replace.....which means doing some research .....

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'll print 'em for you. I have more decal paper (clear & white) than I'll use in a 100 years. Just keep in mind that I just have a regular laser printer so I can't print white text on clear paper.

First pic: the decals on the eng. house and loco done using white decal paper. The black background is what prints.

Second pic: black text on clear decal paper on the box car; black text on white decal paper on the building.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m going to look into a printer so I have one around. If you can use a lower cost printer to do it then by all means I’ll go that route I thought I would have to buy a specific printer for the task.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Inkjet will do......won’t print white, but that’s where you use white decal paper......have to spray the surface of the decal paper after printing the image, or the water will dissolve the ink....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would I just use some dull coat or some form of clear coat to make that happen? Thank you for all the advice on this

·
Registered
286 Posts
Would I just use some dull coat or some form of clear coat to make that happen? Thank you for all the advice on this
Yes,I issue mat finish, but I guess it depends on your application and how you want it to look. Spray the decal before applying it and let it fully dry.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
i used a 35.00 colour inkjet, with a 15.00 for six inkjet paper ...[canadian, even]
i wound up using a white paper sheet, i have five left over ..
i used notepad to print, yellow letters on a [printed] black background,
and yes, a matte spray was applied to the sheet after printing, and left for an hour to dry

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
So you think it would cost me well over $100? That seems outrageous to me.
Unless you're a graphic artist who can provide so-called "Camera Ready" artwork, the set-up charges to have an in-house artist render your drawings ready for the printing process can run that much by itself, depending on the complexity of the artwork. Since you're planning on making a number of unique decals rather than one or more pages of identical ones, your set-up charges will run to the higher end of the scale.

Printers are dirt cheap these days and exceptionally easy to install. If you buy an "all in one" printer, it will let you scan and photocopy as well. Manufacturers make money on the ink / toner, not the basic machine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ll go look around at the stores this weekend and see what I can do about a cheap printer. Sounds like that’s the way to go

·
Registered
385 Posts
Buy the decal paper and take it to an office supply store with a memory stick containing the print file. They have laser printers and the guy behind the counter won't care whether it's their paper or yours. I did this and they charged less than a buck. I didn't ask if they could do white.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
There are a few inkjet printers (expensive) that will print white, but as far as I know, no laser printers will.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts