Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I have been working on a 2025 with a 6466w tender. And have been running into road blocks the whole way. Thought Id throw a picture of at least the tender on here. Its not exactly PRR Brunswick Green But it looks to me like its close enough.

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
Looks like someone painted and put the decals that huh?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Its a repro shell the orginal shell was in sad shape to begin with so i set it aside and used the repro. The letters are dry transfer and the keystones are repros for a 2360 GG-1. Im open for comments both good and bad. Pictures of the locomotive and the tender to come soon

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
It looks pretty good.

I would have put the lettering more towards the back a little. But that's a personal preference.

Mainly the S and City is a little wavy too.

It's hard to get the dry transferring to come out straight.

You should have done a before and after pictures.

But the color, coal, and hand rails all look great.
But all said it looks pretty good.:D

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
You have my :thumbsup:

A flash just kills the color. I always turn mine off.

I can't wait toi see the shell. I have done HO cast and one Lionel shell in Christmas green.

Did you use a primer? and are you going to paint the trucks?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt think to get a before picture, I dont have one of the loco either. Yes I did use a primer. Both primer and paint were krylon GP spray purchased at the hardware store

200 grit Sandpaper was used to take the Lionel Lines off of the sides. Once a coat of primer was applied the scratch mark showed through pretty good. The areas were sanded again and primed again untill the sratch marks were gone. I believe it took about 3 times.

It was then time for paint, lettering, and handrail detail.

Im leaving the trucks alone for now, but I may do something with them later on down the road

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
This was my project. The green is Krylon the red Wallmart, The silver was old and a little thick. I may try to rubber stamp the tender with a greeting.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What shade of green is that? It looks darker then my shade and closer to the lionel used on the green 2332. My locomotive is almost identical to yours except Im going for the Pennsy K-4s look. The cab # matches the keystone up front and I replaced the boilerfront to match an actual K-4, I think the next project is to find another 2025 keep it original, or reo it to make it look original. I got a bunch of postwar cars and think thats the perfect engine for them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey T I went off a little rant without saying that Both Engine and tender look good. Did you consider LEDs as markers in the back of tender? Maybe red on the ends, with a green in the middle keeping with the theme of Christmas. Either way they look good

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
The paint was hunter green. I have Kilnz craft cote and rustoleom premium. I may have used the Krylon. Look for Hunter or Forest Green.
You temp me with the LED idea. I sense another project. Where would you place them? On the back or the top?
The shell is a 2018 prairie fitted with a 224 steam chest.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice. Kinda like hybrid postwar engine. As i said it looks good. If i saw the right tender, I think there are 3 holes at the back of the sheel. Im dont know if the holes would accomidate them but its something to consider. If not, the top would be nice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts