Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 of these, both quit ringing the bell.

The first one had a broken secondary wire, re soldering got it working.

The second (coil) was totally burned up. I found the specs for it, bought some 30 gauge enameled wire on Ebay for $9.00.
600 wraps later, proper resistance (7 to 8.3 ohms). It now works!
I didn't trust the used ones available.
I'm happy!

·
Registered
836 Posts
That one i have was my fault it worked great until i burnt it out good it is so bad that he cant recoil it. He is looking for another bottom.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Make sure the train wheels are not stopped on the track trip with the transformer power on. These coils are not designed for continuous duty at 15v.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thats how it happened my other train swent off the track a little. So i stopped everything went to fix it got side track then i smelt something burn and a few words came out and thats how i fried it. Won of those moments. Lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats how it happened my other train swent off the track a little. So i stopped everything went to fix it got side track then i smelt something burn and a few words came out and thats how i fried it. Won of those moments. Lol
Me too. After 50 years of being careful... A brain fart, must be aged related...

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I have been using MRC AH101 transformers for many years to run conventional Gilbert layouts. They have a 10V fixed output, that is enough to work the bell danger signal and give a lot more margine against coil failure. The same thing can be done using the variable output of a spare Gilbert transformer. Try 12V first, then lower it to 10V if the accessory keeps working.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts