Model Train Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Last October I converted a computer power supply for layout use. It's going to power the switch machines, LED's, etc.
I will be interested in seeing how you deal with providing power to your switch motors depending what solution you choose to go with.

Currently I am using old school twin coil. I will be moving to slow moving tortoise switch machine with dcc support.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
At 100 amps I wound be using fuses and circuit breakers to attempt to protect the accessories and wires from being melted and or welded! You need the protection to keep the wires from catching fire!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Flyboy, you might consider a stationary decoder like a Digitrax DS64 to control stall motors for turnouts (or twin coil) if you want to have DCC control of the turnout.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
At 100 amps I wound be using fuses and circuit breakers to attempt to protect the accessories and wires from being melted and or welded! You need the protection to keep the wires from catching fire!
Yep. Agree. I will probably run it thru a fuse block similiar to the fuses which are commonly found it cars.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Right now I dont run the layout enough to worry about it. (I have probably ran the layout 7 or 8 hrs this year in total) And everything is plugged into a server grade APC battery backup to keep clean power going to the layout.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Flyboy, you might consider a stationary decoder like a Digitrax DS64 to control stall motors for turnouts (or twin coil) if you want to have DCC control of the turnout.
I thought about that but decided I din't want to go that route. A DPDT switch is good enough for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I thought about that but decided I din't want to go that route. A DPDT switch is good enough for me.
This is what I am doing. DCC controlled turnouts. I plan on a seperate and isolated dcc 3Amp power system with its own main bus for my turnouts and any other DCC controlled accessories I want.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I thought these looked rather slick and I liked the big lever throw device. I do not own any and they are out the UK. I have no idea if they are easy to get here or any good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I thought these looked rather slick and I liked the big lever throw device. I do not own any and they are out the UK. I have no idea if they are easy to get here or any good.

Their power supplies look interesting for a dedicated dcc accessory power source.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was actually gonna try to make my own. I have the parts -- I bought some very tiny DC motors and have some arduinos sitting around. (as I already built DCC++ and use the jrmi software.) I even have the discrete parts for a DCC decoder project I found online.

(for example -- DCC Arduino)

What I don't have is ability to stop starting new projects!

Anyway before I thought about that, I had looked at these cobalts and thought they looked rather nice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I was actually gonna try to make my own. I have the parts -- I bought some very tiny DC motors and have some arduinos sitting around. (as I already built DCC++ and use the jrmi software.) I even have the discrete parts for a DCC decoder project I found online.

(for example -- DCC Arduino)

What I don't have is ability to stop starting new projects!

Anyway before I thought about that, I had looked at these cobalts and thought they looked rather nice.
Thanks again for the link ~ John

·
Registered
999 Posts
I don't know what's optimal. I got the servos as they were small and cheap. I have some other ideas too but they are half screw ball. first one is battery power. i hate running wires. then second is RF control. although i admit i'm now confused as where the DCC commands come from for switches. Given that I can imagine just using track power -- 5v smoothed out to the arduino and servo -- and then PWM track power goes to the homebrew DCC decoder -- which the arduino checks for actuation or maybe gets an interrupt. but then you have to run wires. why bother with all that!

61 - 75 of 75 Posts