Model Train Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
To me, it looks as though the floor in the garage was poured without the use of wire mesh or re-bar. I could be wrong, though. It looks like the garage is settling. You could fill the cracks, but that's like putting a Band-Aid over a gaping wound. You may want to have a professional look at that floor. Putting a model railroad on top of it would be an exercise in frustration. You would be constantly dealing with uneven track-work, and the issues that go with it. I don't mean to be a downer, but you really need to get that floor dealt with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
That was the bad news I was getting to. Right now there's a few things with the property that need addressing, so it will take a couple of weeks until I am in a position to have someone look, and yes it makes the list. Unplanned repairs to the building was scheduled to run to December. The fun of folding one household into another....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I'm scheduling a company to come look at my cracked floor. I am reasonable sure a patch job just would be a major mistake, and want a couple of contractors (legitimate ones) to look at it. At least considering that the folks that put up the storage barn were a couple of young contractors, who probably did things on the cheap side. The first company I got supposedly fix this kind of problem, for a living. They can replace the floor, or drill holes in the floor, and fill voids under the floor with some kind of foam (I'm thinking harder than that blown insulation), which is cheaper than ripping out the concrete, and pouring a new floor. Not that I am worried, yet...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Yes it is. Picked up on a you tube video that shows the process of lifting cement driveway pads. It looked like the one described on their website.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Ok, now that I am back in NY, and under quarantine, until just before my planned move. We are packing up the final items, as we wait. Hopefully, we can move, as scheduled. I have someone coming, to look at my floor and see if we can save it. I really don't want to dig it up. Meanwhile, downtime from packing will go towards adjusting the layout a bit, since the original plan will likely need some table placement changes. Planning can be fun. Moving can be fun...

Here's hoping Murphy doesn't visit, and the pandemic doesn't screw things up too much. stay safe...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
after a site survey, and looking about, i have come up with the attached. This is from Scarm. Basically, the area will end up to be a work area, the layout and a visitor area. If one were to look a an "L", the area above and right would be a work and control area, and below and right would be the peanut gallery. Murphy has visited somewhat, mostly in the prep area. With me in NY, under quarantine, and packing up what is left of my apartment, I have to trust that my stepson will clear my garage and barn a bit, of some of the garbage that seems to have filled the areas. they are progressing, and hopefully will have cleared enough space by the time we get down there. I may end up busting my *** to clear what is left, before the movers get there. anyway, some progress....

Attachments

81 - 87 of 87 Posts