Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased 2 new in the box Bachmann GG-1's for $20 each. Good deal I thought but now having second thoughts.

The box states, "compatible with DC powered layouts." My 1 track layout is conventional DC power but according the instructions, I will need to purchase a non-analog transformer. My old mrc works fine for my needs.

I know nothing about DCC except what I read this morning, but I am not about to make major changes my layout and prefer not to buy a digital transformer, whatever that is. Nor do I want to spend hundreds on decoders, etc.

My questions are:
1. Can I just put them on the track, power up and run them one at a time, albeit maybe without sounds using my analog computer? If not what additional equipment do I need to buy and will I still be able to run my DC only locos with it?

2. If they do run with conventional transformer, will they suffer performance issues. I don’t need to wow anyone, I just want them and my original equipment to run smoothly.

3. I often hear negative comments about Bachmann in general but these seem to be of very good quality. What say you?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You should have no problems running these two locomotives singly on your layout, It's possible they will even produce sound, if they have sound decoders installed. Does the box state: DCC & SOUND?

It is true, i have found Bachmann locomotives to be of hit and miss quality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should have no problems running these two locomotives singly on your layout, It's possible they will even produce sound, if they have sound decoders installed. Does the box state: DCC & SOUND?

It is true, i have found Bachmann locomotives to be of hit and miss quality.
The box says, DCC Sound Locomotive, and DCC sound value on board.

Thank you.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My -guess- is that they will run on "straight dc", but any sound features either won't work at all, or may not work properly.

There's a separate Bachmann discussion forum on the web.
You ought to ask the question over there, as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My -guess- is that they will run on "straight dc", but any sound features either won't work at all, or may not work properly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I looked for this discussion but could not find it. Thanks for any help to locate.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
All modern decoders (post 2006 for certain) are 'dual mode', meaning they'll work basically using either DC or AC to power the rails. By AC, I mean the 'square wave' that a DCC system imparts at full voltage appropriate for the scale being used.

However, the decoder's CV 29 must be configured to detect either form of rail power. This can be achieved by programming a value of "28". Note that some decoders have been known to jack-rabbit start at high speed and run off the rails when first powering at that CV 29 setting. I haven't heard of it for many years, but it was a problem. If that happens, you'll have to use only DC or DCC, not either one.

Dual mode decoders that have onboard sound should begin to make neutral and startup sounds when track voltage reaches 6.5 volts. Maybe up to 7.5, depending on the decoder. After that, they should begin to move. You'll need to get into the manual for the decoders to learn how to blow the horn, ring the bell, and reverse the locomotive using only DC, but that is about all you'll hear and be able to do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$20 each is a steal according to Ebay. They list (DCC Sound) for about $160 ish and sold for a little less.
All modern decoders (post 2006 for certain) are 'dual mode', meaning they'll work basically using either DC or AC to power the rails. By AC, I mean the 'square wave' that a DCC system imparts at full voltage appropriate for the scale being used.

However, the decoder's CV 29 must be configured to detect either form of rail power. This can be achieved by programming a value of "28". Note that some decoders have been known to jack-rabbit start at high speed and run off the rails when first powering at that CV 29 setting. I haven't heard of it for many years, but it was a problem. If that happens, you'll have to use only DC or DCC, not either one.

Dual mode decoders that have onboard sound should begin to make neutral and startup sounds when track voltage reaches 6.5 volts. Maybe up to 7.5, depending on the decoder. After that, they should begin to move. You'll need to get into the manual for the decoders to learn how to blow the horn, ring the bell, and reverse the locomotive using only DC, but that is about all you'll hear and be able to do.
Thanks for responding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts