Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three of my locomotives they had been sitting. For about a month and when I put them on the track, my controller goes nuts. I believe they're shorting out. Three of my other locomotives work just fine. Has anybody ever encountered a problem? It seems to be in the trucks.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
It would be a big help if you would describe each of
the 'long' idle locos that trouble you. Our members
can then make more helpful suggestions to solve
your problem.

What type loco? Diesel or Steam
What make?

Any other information you may have.
Have these locos run on your layout before?

Don

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Not just describe the locos, but also note any repairs or modifications you may have made.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I'm inclined to think they might be steam locomotives and when he puts them on the track, one of the trucks of the coal tender is reversed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah. Same here... Anyway, something is shorting out.. OPer has to find them..Or, perhaps layout is DC and locos are DCC or vise versa...
G handy, you need to answer the questions above or else we can't help you....

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
I'm inclined to think they might be steam locomotives and when he puts them on the track, one of the trucks of the coal tender is reversed.
Exactly the reason for my question. I want to know if the trucks have ever been off of it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Locos, we're running on the way up. The same with the other Four Locos I have These three however something happened. I don't know what I might throw a different. Decoder in and see what happens. I'm wondering if they were on the track. And we have a cat. And my son sometimes runs. The trains maybe something got left on in a cat knock something across the track and shorted something. I don't know.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Yes Locos, we're running on the way up. The same with the other Four Locos I have These three however something happened. I don't know what I might throw a different. Decoder in and see what happens. I'm wondering if they were on the track. And we have a cat. And my son sometimes runs. The trains maybe something got left on in a cat knock something across the track and shorted something. I don't know.
Unless you have a very large layout with no separate circuit breakers, it is very unlikely that a short would have damaged a decoder.

Other than that they are diesels, I can't make out enough details jn the photos to really help. We're also getting information in dribs and drabs, rather than the full story.

What does it mean that the locos "we're running on the way up"? Were running? Way up where? If I'm getting the story correctly, you have several locos. For whatever reason, they sat for a month, and now they seem to cause a short in your DCC system? Were they sitting on the layout or stored somewhere else? Were they together during storage? What kind of conditions were they in (dusty, hot, etc)? Did you run the layout in that time? Have you inspected the trucks for anything shorting across the axles? What symptoms does your DCC unit display when it goes "haywire"? What brand is it?

And so on. The more information you can share with us, the better chance that someone will either recognize the problem or be able to take an educated guess as to what the problem is.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, I didn't go back and edit. Use voice to text. And sometimes autocorrect changes things. The locals were running on the track. And we're left on the track. When I shut it off. So they had all been running. Nothing was new to the layout. And my layout is around 160 lineal feet. It's been a long day, and I'm tired. But when I get a chance, maybe I'll Replace a decoder. I have one or two laying around. It just seems strange that 3 of them End up with a problem.

·
Registered
624 Posts
1. Take ALL other locos off the track
2. Put ONE of the "problem engines" ON the track
3. Go to programming, set CV 8 to "8". This resets the decoder.
4. Does this change anything?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
If you reset decoder, call it up with 03. You will lose the road number if it was programmed
in. A reset will fix 90% of problems. Let us know.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I find it hard to believe that happened to 3 locos. Could there have been a power surge and that be the cause of a decoder issue? I know there have been some pretty wicked storms in the southern states. (Not sure of location) I have had a decoder burn up in the past causing a dead short on the layout

1 - 13 of 13 Posts