Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on adding a reversing section to my layout with an ar 1. I know it needs to be insulated at both ends and the power goes from ar 1 to track and bus. Can I add multiple feeders to bus within the reversing section?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Your AR-1 has two input posts and two output posts ..? Your layout should have only one bus, and it may have several sub-buses if it seems right to extend power that way.

The AR-1 must receive power from the main supply, which is your bus. Meaning, its input terminals are wired directly to the two bus wires, ideally close to it. Which wire you hook to which terminal doesn't matter...the reverser will automatically fix, or rectify, any disparity that might cause a short. That's its designed purpose.

The AR's outputs can be wired only to the two rails contained between the two sets of gaps. When you stated, above, "...and the power goes from ar 1 to track and bus...", it made my heart skip a beat. That is wrong. The power COMES FROM the bus, as I said in the preceding paragraph just above. In turn, the AR issues power, but only to the gapped segment of rails that forms your loop or the leg of the wye. If it helps, think of the AR as an in-line switch. In fact, that's exactly what it is. It's just automatic, and switches phase when the first metal rolling stock tire bridges one of the four gaps and causes a short.

Then, you said, "Can I add multiple feeders to bus within the reversing section?" Do you mean a sub-bus, one that you intend to feed a substantial amount of trackage within the reversing section? If that is what you mean, then yes, you can use multiple feeders off of the sub, just as I do off of my main bus, and you as well. Subs are to be treated like a main bus, but they are ideally serviced, in line, by a circuit breaker or booster if the demand beyond them will be substantial.

However, if you meant can you run feeders to the bus from the AR, the answer is a categorical and emphatic NO! Remember, the AR gets two wires to it connecting from the main power source, or the bus, whichever is closest, and those wires terminate at the AR's inputs. Only.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts