Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out the other day quite by accident that you can select engines using the number keys on the remote. Press the green ENG button, then key in the engine address you want using the numbered keypad, then press the thumb wheel. It’s in Barry’s book, but I either missed it or I didn’t care about it because I didn’t have too many engines when I read it. So that's what those numbers are for.

I don’t use the READ button, so all my engines are in the active list. That makes for a lot of scrolling when you have about 40 DCS engines. I edited addresses so all my PRR engines are in one area, RDG engines in another, etc. No more scrolling for me.

Most of you guys probably already know this, but in case there is anyone else that doesn’t, I figured I would post it.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Good tip. I didn't know that but how do you remember all the engine IDs? WithTMCC/Legacy you can assign numbers based on something obvious like cab numbers. Having your 5344 Hudson with an assigned number of say 21, not so obvious.
Pete

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put all the PRR locos from 1 to 20, Reading, RBMN and PRSL from 30 to 39, LV and B&O from 21 to 29, misc from 50 to 55. I also made up and printed out a list till I get used to the new addresses. I may still do a little scrolling, but if I’m looking for a PRR or Reading loco, I know the general vicinity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts