Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many rumors going around about MTH discontinuing the production of the DCS remote.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I think Andy Edelman said they would continue to make them and I was told recently by Midge that they are expecting more thumbwheels to repair existing handhelds.

Pete

·
Registered
33 Posts
They still appear to be available from MTH dealers - or soon will be depending on whose website you look at. That said; I would think with the popularity of the MTH WiFi system it is inevitable the remotes will be phased out.

I first used the WiFi while operating on a friends layout last November and purchased one for my layout back in early February. Since performing the extremely easy installation; I bet I’ve only used my DCS remote perhaps two or three times as I much prefer operating from my iPhone now.

Curt

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I picked one up for a backup about a year ago for around $150 when there was a rumor about them being discontinued. Current MSRP is $170.
Doing a simple online search doesn't show many in stock. Will have to wait for the next production run if there's one.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
GARY,
I got one from MARIO for $140 bucks about a year ago, now he wants $180:eek::eek::eek:. Seems like NORTON has found the least expensive one. I gotta get a couple of thumbwheels at YORK.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
MB Klein/Modeltrainstuff usually sells for the same price as Nicholas Smith but seem to be out of stock at the moment. A few times a year they offer free shipping along with this discount. I get my PS2/3 upgrade kits there when they have free shipping. Hardly worth joining the MTH club to get their discount.

Pete

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think if my remote goes I'll just use Mark Diveccios RTC software. I have the interface already but haven't used it in awhile. I think if my legacy base goes, it'll be a good excuse to sell all my stuff and go to HO -- which I've been imagining I'll do at some point anyway.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just picked up 2 from Just Trains of Delaware; $154.00 each including shipping.

Is it true that the thumb-wheel is the weak link on these remotes?

John

·
Admin
43,473 Posts
GARY,
I got one from MARIO for $140 bucks about a year ago, now he wants $180:eek::eek::eek:. Seems like NORTON has found the least expensive one. I gotta get a couple of thumbwheels at YORK.
Dream on, they have been out of stock for some time. ;)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I just picked up 2 from Just Trains of Delaware; $154.00 each including shipping.

Is it true that the thumb-wheel is the weak link on these remotes?

John

Yes JOHN it is the weak link. Just don't get butter fingers and drop the remote, like I did.:eek::( Worked ok but wheel was at a tilt until i replaced it.

·
Admin
43,473 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are obsolete parts in the remote that will preclude long term production without a redesign, that's something they're probably not going to do. Usually, what happens is a last time buy of obsolete parts, and once they're gone, they're gone.

In aerospace applications where equipment usually has a 20-30 year projected lifespan, we had lots of last time buys. We had to buy enough of any component going out of production to continue to build for the projected lifetime of the product. I doubt MTH is projecting a 30 year lifetime, but I suspect they do a similar thing on a smaller scale for obsolete parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts