Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Recently, I tried working on the first steam engine I was ever given. A younger cousin had broken the tongue from the engine that connects to the peg on the tender, so I figured this would be a good excuse to try and upgrade to modern magnetic couplers. After taking it apart, I decided to go ahead and grease and oil the poor thing as well. I wasn't able to convert the couplers just yet (Going to need a few things to hold them in place), but I ran my engine shortly afterward just to stretch its wheels. It ran for a bit, then began to jump. It sparked for a bit, and then it died. I didn't mess with the actual motor, but there is probably something I did that messed it up. This engine means a lot to me, as it was given to me when I was about 5 and it is (until just now) my second oldest working engine. I don't trust myself to try and fix it (I broke it just trying to replace a coupler!), and I don't own any type of soldering kit or know of where I might get one. Do you know of anyone who might be able to service it? I'll gladly pay to have the engine repaired to working order. I'm almost certain it's a Bachmann 0-4-0, as I have a second Bachmann steam engine that is an exact duplicate minus colors. Please, if you have any advice, let me know.

EDIT: If it helps, the light still comes on, so it is getting power and showing signs of life. Just no movement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much! It would be a shame if my little engine wasn't able to run on my first real layout, and I'm hoping to get it fixed soon! As long as it can survive the shipping...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Repair connection

I HAVE A RETIRED RR GUY WHO IS A CRACKERJACK REPAIR GUY ESPECIALLY IN THE OLDER TRAINS. hE HAS G, O HO N SETS FROM 1920'S AND UP . hE HAS A SMALL STORE AND REPIR SHOP RIGHT THERE. HE DOES ALL THE LOCALS. IF YOU WANT ME TO ASK I'LL ASK HIM LET ME KNOW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts