Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replace e-unit for lionel 601 Seaboard. Followed wiring from the old one. I think I got it right. Tried it and the engine is dead. No power. Don't know what happened. I do not see any loose wires anywhere else. Did I miss something.

·
16,666 Posts
Traditional e-unit, or an electronic one?

Double check the wiring. E-unit should "flip" current flow through either: (a) the field coil, with the armature-to-ground further downstream, or (b) the armature, with the field coil to ground downstream.

If a traditional e-unit, is the plunger going up and down with power cycles? Drum rotating? Etc.

·
Registered
271 Posts
vinsk, you indicate "the engine is dead". By that I am assuming you do not hear any humming noise, there is no light, nothing. If that is true, I would suspect power from the center rail is not getting to the "E" unit and therefore is not being distributed to the motor and lamp.

Here is a wiring schematic copied from my Greenberg Repair Manual that may help in troubleshooting.

Please post back on how you are faring.

swede

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,552 Posts
Replace the reverse unit parts and the motor has no response normally means a finger is not touching the drum and the connection is broken. Always bend the fingers slightly when assembling the unit with new parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts