Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just found this thread on stripping and repainting. I have a post going in general discussion about removing decals but this looks like where I should have posted.
I have removed some decals by soaking in 91% alcohol and scrubbing with a old tooth brush. It worked OK but took a little time. I was happy with that car because only the decals came off and I was happy with the original color. I have another car that I wanted to strip the decals and paint from. I soaked it for like 12 hours and the decals came off easily and SOME of the paint loosened up but some didn't. I think I need to get all the paint off before repainting or isn't that necessary?
So what tricks do you guys have for completely stripping a car?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I'd post a few pictures. Looking at this now I'm sure it needs to be stripped better. It seems like the alcohol has taken off all it will. Now what? Is grey the natural color of the plastic?
IMG_6147.JPG IMG_6146.JPG

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
The lettering on the car were not decals, but likely printed on with paint.....thus the alcohol took off the paint under the lettering as well as the lettering......you would be wise to remove all the paint now, because if you paint over as is, you will be able to see the outline of the removed paint....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lettering on the car were not decals, but likely printed on with paint.....thus the alcohol took off the paint under the lettering as well as the lettering......you would be wise to remove all the paint now, because if you paint over as is, you will be able to see the outline of the removed paint....
Yes you're right those factory letters are painted on. I've gotten the old paint almost completely off. Looking forward to spraying it and putting on some decals. I haven't bought any of those yet, I need them for 2 cars now.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Try a product called Easy Lift Off. It is made by Testors.

Reactions: Diesel Fuel
1 - 6 of 6 Posts