Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine is new, have not received it yet..What is the best way to remove existing decal/label from plastic tender.
I want to relabel it for Jersey Central (I have JC labels)

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
Unfortunately, most of these are not decals, but inked on to paint. So you're basically stripping it.

I have been able to do this using microbrushes and Testors Easy Lift Off (ELO) with minimal damage to the underlying paint, but some touch-up will probably be necessary. Worst case fail, you'll be repainting the tender. Just make sure you're willing to take that risk before you start.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Unfortunately, most of these are not decals, but inked on to paint. So you're basically stripping it.

I have been able to do this using microbrushes and Testors Easy Lift Off (ELO) with minimal damage to the underlying paint, but some touch-up will probably be necessary. Worst case fail, you'll be repainting the tender. Just make sure you're willing to take that risk before you start.
Im planning to remove the numbering from one of my Bachmann locos, would that strip the paint off as well or does Bachmann use decals?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ok I have done this to a few loco & it really works! You will need the solvent for decals to lay down nice. Micro sol I think it is called. You add that on top of the pant decal you want to strip. Then you need a pencil with a white eraser on it.... why white ??? I have no idea ! I just know that the pink ones won’t work. Take the eraser and just start erasing it. Adding a little more solvent as you go. It will take some time , but it will pull it up. I let it set & soak about 3-5 minutes before I start. This helps soften the paint up. Also it might shine the area you run just a little. I put a little bit of dull coat on it if it’s to glossy. Usually it is not.
I tell you this works! Sounds crazy, but it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
As far as I know, no major manufacturer uses decals on their mass-produced production pieces....it's either paint or ink.....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ok I have done this to a few loco & it really works! You will need the solvent for decals to lay down nice. Micro sol I think it is called. You add that on top of the pant decal you want to strip. Then you need a pencil with a white eraser on it.... why white ??? I have no idea ! I just know that the pink ones won’t work. Take the eraser and just start erasing it. Adding a little more solvent as you go. It will take some time , but it will pull it up. I let it set & soak about 3-5 minutes before I start. This helps soften the paint up. Also it might shine the area you run just a little. I put a little bit of dull coat on it if it’s to glossy. Usually it is not.
I tell you this works! Sounds crazy, but it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The solvents recommended for decal removal and applying are Micro Sol and Micro Set

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I can't find the video right now, but I remember a technique that involved using Micro Sol, the solution in the red bottle, a piece of paper towel, and some clear adhesive tape, such as Scotch tape. Put the paper towel over the decal, wet it thoroughly with Micro Sol, and let it sit for about 5 minutes, making sure the area does not dry out. Re-apply the Micro Sol as needed. After about 5 minutes, remove the paper towel, blot the area dry, put a piece of tape over it and burnish it down really well, then remove the tape. It pulls the decal up really well! This only works for decals that have not been clear coated. If it has been clear coated, you'll probably have to strip the paint and start over.
As CTValleyRR has pointed out, the lettering on the BLI tender is most likely paint, and not a decal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do a search with this title.
BLI lettering removal

you can see what I did with one of my BLI mikado's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts