Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TCS-wow sound decoder that I am putting in a 4-8-4. The kit is called WSK-Bac-7: WSK-BAC-7 | Train Control Systems

The decoder says it has 8 lighting functions, but functions 5 and 6 are not programmable. My first question is does this mean that I can't turn the lights on and off?

My other question is, I'm lighting the: headlight/rear light, mars light, number boards, classification lights, and possibly a cab light depending on the answer of my question. does this mean I need to use 5/6 functions for each of the different type of lights?

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
Please post your questions only once, in the appropriate area. You asked this identical question in 3 different places. People who are likely to answer your question will see it, because they'll be looking for new threads.

Let's direct responses to the one in the DCC area. Please ask a mod to delete the other two.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please post your questions only once, in the appropriate area. You asked this identical question in 3 different places. People who are likely to answer your question will see it, because they'll be looking for new threads.

Let's direct responses to the one in the DCC area. Please ask a mod to delete the other two.
Sorry I was unsure as to where exactly I had to put this question

·
Registered
German, Swiss, and Austrian outline. HO/HOm
6,566 Posts
Unless the decoder was pre-mapped with those functions on the AUX functions, you will have to map those functions yourself and also assign a keypad function to operate the AUX. Unless you have a programmer for your brand of decoder this will be difficult to perform.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless the decoder was pre-mapped with those functions on the AUX functions, you will have to map those functions yourself and also assign a keypad function to operate the AUX. Unless you have a programmer for your brand of decoder this will be difficult to perform.
I'm sorry, but I'm confused as to what you're saying?

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
Sorry I was unsure as to where exactly I had to put this question
You don't HAVE to put it anywhere. It's not like the moderators are going to take it down for being in the wrong category. Just pick the one where it fits best in your mind.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It sounds to me like F5 & 6 are not mappable or reprogrammable. Meaning you cannot alter those two. They’re likely on/off and that’s it. They may or may not be directional. As you separately mentioned a mars light, I’d use F5 & 6 for the number boards / cab light if they’re not directional; those would mot have effects.

For clarity of terminology; programming a function is like telling a function to produce a strobe effect, or rotary beacon, or mars effect, etc. Function mapping it telling the function when/how to function that way, such as only in reverse, or telling the headlight to remain on regardless of direction (but not the rear light).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds to me like F5 & 6 are not mappable or reprogrammable. Meaning you cannot alter those two. They’re likely on/off and that’s it. They may or may not be directional. As you separately mentioned a mars light, I’d use F5 & 6 for the number boards / cab light if they’re not directional; those would mot have effects.

For clarity of terminology; programming a function is like telling a function to produce a strobe effect, or rotary beacon, or mars effect, etc. Function mapping it telling the function when/how to function that way, such as only in reverse, or telling the headlight to remain on regardless of direction (but not the rear light).
ok thanks, that clears things up. I also figured out my question for the second question.

Being able to turn function 5/6 on and off would be nice, but I don't think it is necessary in my case.

My plan is to do this:

The headlight and rear light have their own function outputs that are marked as F0F and F0R
FO1 will be number boards
FO2 will be mars light
FO3 will be marker lights
FO4 will be cab light
FO5(possibly) firebox flicker

This way I will be able to control all Function Outputs that I use (except firebox, depending on if I decide)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts