Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kato F units are not DCC ready. What type of decoder do I need to make the loco DCC?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies , is there anyway to tell if the LED headlight will burn brighter or even flash to simulate a Mars light? I bought a BLI E8 and the upper headlight flashes to simulate a Mars light and the lower light stays on constant. I really like that and I'm wondering if a decoder will provide that in my Kato F7.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
You'll need to look for a decoder that specifically states it allows separate Mars light control.

You'll also need one with a wire harness and no pin connections (although you can snip those off).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wonder if this is too complicated for my little pea brain, or my big clumsy fingers. I can't afford to go out and buy all new DCC locos and I have so many great running Kato locos that I'd like to convert. I'm in one of the largest cities in th US and we do not have a full service hobby shop where I could get some advise on what to purchase. Bummer!!!!

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
You can get plenty of advice here, and the first and best piece is that this is NOT to hard for you. Just try. Yes, you'll make some mistakes, but you'll learn from them and soldier on. In the words of Henry Ford, Sr.: "If you decide you can do something, or decide you can't do that thing, you're right!"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts