Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting new (again from the 70s) in HO. Bought an Athearn UP SD70ACe engine. My layout will most likely have 2 trains but might expand later on.

Would appreciate your comments on this wireless throttle. I plan on DCC for the engines, accessory lighting, etc.

Also the track. I'm thinking Atlas code 100. I've searched the forums and this seems to be the most popular?

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
A wireless DCC throttle will make operating your trains more
convenient and fun. You can take the throttle to where the 'action'
is without a trailing cablle. However, this particular model requires an NCE Power cab.
It will not work without that.

Code 100 track is possibly the most popular and most available. There is also
a very wide selection of code 100 accessories such as turnouts and crossings
of various degree.

Don

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Don, although I'm not exactly sure what all that means. I'll look into the link you supplied and dig deeper,

·
Registered
450 Posts
i just got the procab wireless complete set. I just started using it. very easy to hook up the throttle takes 2 aa batteries. and you can walk around without any cables attached.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Thanks, Don, although I'm not exactly sure what all that means. I'll look into the link you supplied and dig deeper,
rvnmedic;

The file below is a "dictionary" of model railroad terms. It may help you decipher any words you see that you're not familiar with.

Good luck & have fun

Traction Fan

Attachments

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
No file below...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MustangCobra94, can you please tell me the exact system name you bought and the supplier name? Would help me as a starting point.

I'm not sure if this is an overkill, as I plan on running two trains on separate tracks. Was looking at an MRC 2 throttle transformer as a start and then saw the NCE portable throttles but had no idea of the expense for that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
I think he's referring to the link that DonR added to his reply? It shows loads of mini ads for the NCE Cab systems. I got sticker shock, if it means I need all the items associated with the portable throttle.
Maybe... but I would think he intended to include one of his many self-published "How To" files for beginners.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Rvnmedic

A DCC system REQUIRES the following:

1. A master digital controller. This device powers the track and sends
digital signals to the decoders in locomotives. It also acts as a
throttle. Additional wired or wireless throttles can be plugged into
the master digital controller but they cannot operate without
the master.

2. A power supply designed to provide voltage to the
master digital controller.

Generally, any DCC system you buy will include the master controller
and the power supply. Any wired or wireless throttle is an optional
extra.

Thus, when you shop for your DCC system make sure the above
two components are included.

Don

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, DonR. I spent hours looking at all the systems and arrived at that conclusion. MRC has a WiFi module that can be added on and use the portable throttle OR a phone app to move the trains. Seems a lot less expensive than the NCE systems. Looking at the
Model Rectifier #0001424 Prodigy Advance2 DCC Digital Command Control System, WiFi
as a possible candidate.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Thanks, DonR. I spent hours looking at all the systems and arrived at that conclusion. MRC has a WiFi module that can be added on and use the portable throttle OR a phone app to move the trains. Seems a lot less expensive than the NCE systems. Looking at the
Model Rectifier #0001424 Prodigy Advance2 DCC Digital Command Control System, WiFi
as a possible candidate.

MRC makes good systems. I operated my brother's layout using
an MRC system and found the throttle easy to use.
The 1424 is actually designed for clubs and other
multiuser layouts. It would. however be usable on any layout.
You might be able to get a less powerful version and less costly
model then add the Wireless or WIFI option.

Perhaps one of our members has an MRC system that includes
either Wireless throttle or WIFI and can provide you with more
complete advice.

Don

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MRC makes good systems. I operated my brother's layout using
an MRC system and found the throttle easy to use.
The 1424 is actually designed for clubs and other
multiuser layouts. It would. however be usable on any layout.
You might be able to get a less powerful version and less costly
model then add the Wireless or WIFI option.

Perhaps one of our members has an MRC system that includes
either Wireless throttle or WIFI and can provide you with more
complete advice.

Don
Thanks, still gathering info on this stuff. Got the Athearn loco being delivered tomorrow. No layout nor power, but hey! It's a start.

·
Registered
450 Posts
MustangCobra94, can you please tell me the exact system name you bought and the supplier name? Would help me as a starting point.

I'm not sure if this is an overkill, as I plan on running two trains on separate tracks. Was looking at an MRC 2 throttle transformer as a start and then saw the NCE portable throttles but had no idea of the expense for that.

Thanks!
It's the nce ph pro-r

Thanks!
It's the nce ph pro -r I got it on eBay a while ago and just recently set it up

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
rvnmedic wrote in #12 above:
"I spent hours looking at all the systems and arrived at that conclusion. MRC has a WiFi module that can be added on and use the portable throttle OR a phone app to move the trains."

If you get the MRC hardware, and hook it up to wifi, I'm wondering if you are limited to using only their control app (running from a phone app or tablet) -- or, if it's possible to use other [manufacturers] apps, as well?

I'd suggest trying Roco's FREE z21 app. It seems to work with more than just Roco hardware -- can be used with Digikeijs and ZIMO as well. It might be possible to use it with "American" control hardware, but I don't have any on which to test it.

You can get the app at either Apple's App Store or on google play.
Just search for "z21" -- the app you want has a red engine on a blue background.
It even runs in a "demo mode", you can see how it works before you try to interface it with hardware.

This runs on ANY smartphone or tablet, iOS or Android. I think it will even run on an Apple iPod touch.
It costs nothing to use and if it doesn't work, just delete it.

I believe there are some other 3rd-party free control apps out there as well.

Some folks want a tethered control with buttons. It's a matter of personal taste. But I've found running from a tablet (with TWO engine controllers available simultaneously) is easier -- at least for this old engineman...

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's the nce ph pro-r

It's the nce ph pro -r I got it on eBay a while ago and just recently set it up
Are you overall pleased with your purchase of this system? I have been looking into the wireless system off and on for the last month or so. I am pretty certain I will stick with NCE because the powercab is a good system. Is there a add on I can buy if my main interest is to be wireless? Or is it the best and/or only option to purchase the same system you got? Did you find your best purchase price on eBay?

Also, what other perks if any are in the wireless system compared to the non-wireless NCE powercab?

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
as a possible candidate.
So the MRC adapter, P/N 1530 is a nice add-on, IF you already own an MRC DCC system. The one you're quoting , P/N 1424, is a combined unit that includes both the Wifi adapter and a complete Prodigy Advance2 System, MRC's mid-range DCC system offering. Either way you can run your DCC set from a smartphone or tablet after installing MRC's proprietary interface.

I have a Prodigy Wireless (roughly the same price), which is similar, but uses dedicated MRC throttles instead of standard Wifi devices.

Me personally, I dislike both the ergonomics and the lack of tactile feedback, as well as the touchy Nate of making delicate throttle adjustments on a touch screen, hence my choice for the latter system. Both systems are easy to set up and use, and very reliable, and I would recommend either. Before you opt for a smartphone-based interface, see if you can try it to get a feel for whether you like it or not. Personally, the only time I actually look at the throttle is to punch in the loco ID, so a touchscreen is a non-starter. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts