Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I need some help please I need a wire diagram or instructions on how to wire a lionel 8946 Coast Guard switcher (NW2 Diesel switcher) I found one at a garage sale and all the wires were disconnected from each other so I have a jigsaw puzzle . If anyone has a wiring diagram or could tell me which wires go where or get connected to which I would appreciate it. It looks like the attached picture.Thanks
Email me [email protected]

I found a diagram similar to mine so thanks to all who tried to help me it was greatly appreciated. moderators please delete post

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
Wire wire pants on fire?

The motor wires, feed to a drum in the e unit. the drum turns and the wires switch polarity for reverse. with a neutral in between. One side is fed from the center rail the other side that has a lever and grounds to the outer rail and through the motor coil. When the lever connects, it grounds out the piston to rotate the drum. Simple if it's ac. Your eunit is probably broken. So wire the motor up from center rail to the motor. from motor to coil to ground and it should work. Pic's would help. I'm presuming the lever points down on yours. same as my 600MKT switcher. A little older than yours.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
Fundimension 1970 -1986

I used my 99 cent ebay disk and found a similar breakdown. You have a two position eunit part 102-1. The radio wheel in the front signifies an earlier version. I can't tell if you have two or three rail pickup. Other versions had an electronic horn (DC?) 8010 is a commonpart number reference.

When I say motor connection I mean one that goes to the armature brush.

One advantage to having more than one engine is that you can easily cross check.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I found a diagram similar to mine so thanks to all who tried to help me it was greatly appreciated.
Almost missed that since you stuck it on the end of your last post ;)

Glad to hear that you have fixed your switcher and can now enjoy it... I really need to hit up some local yard sales and flea markets soon to see what I can find... Hmm, maybe this weekend :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts