Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok cant understand it worked before now nothing. But iwill clean traction wheels . thanks.
Al

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cleaned same . so i took it apart again saw one set of wheels in forward poistion going clock wise and 2nd set of wheels going opposite. So reversed front set placed on track without shell and truck holder. Would not work. At all i think it was because traction tirees were on one side. Stumped.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I just hate it when that happens! When the wheels spin with no movement on a dual motor diesel it means only one of the two motors is working. Since the two motors share a reverse unit that can be ruled out as the issue. It is almost always bad brush to commutator contact on the non-running motor. Less likely causes are a broken wire or broken connection at the motor. We hope it is not a motor winding failure, but that is rare.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Just saw your latest post. The traction tires should be on opposite rails for the two trucks. Something was assembled backwards?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes tinking about i wonder when i took the armature out maybe i put it in backwards. Its weird because it good but the issue was sparking.

Thanks Al

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Tom is right about one motor no working. I had that problem on a newer Lionel/Flyer PA diesel.
After the one traction tire spins, it gets a glaze on it, and I doubt it will ever work. I had one motor
not running because one of the windings off the coil was catching on the armature. I need to get
some new traction tires. I am sure Jeff Kane has them. Where many of us screw up, including me,
after working on an engine we don't put engine up on blocks to test it. Sure would save the traction tires.
Putting engine up on blocks works for diesels and steamers.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Just my opinion, those open frame motors are a PI A. Spinning in opposite direction would sure make the wheels spin.
Did you do any rewiring?

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I doubt armature in backwards. Motor brushes would not align with commutator.

I have 4 sets of the Lionel/Flyer PAs. One is the open frame motors. The other 3 are can motors. They are much easier to work with.

Maybe someone messed with the wiring before you got them. I can not think of any other reason they are running in opposite direction. Try switching the 2 wires running to the coil.
LOL, not on both motors, just one of them. Is the reverse unit workng?

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
You already did. Just try switching 2 coil wires first. And see what you get. Good luck finding a
wiring diagram. I never could.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The correct wiring diagrams for the 490/492 NP's are on p145 of the K-Line Service Manual. The parts list and assembly diagrams begin on p144.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well fiexed the 490 i reverse d the armature s. Test before putting back all 8 wheels go the same direction . thank god pain in the A. Thanks everyone for your help.

Al

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I have been runnig the diesels they can move also finding how much it can pull so far i have 2 955's 1 650 green new haven and one 662 silver dome they r on my outside track which do up on a incline. So far so good.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts