Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the Athearn and Athearn Roundhouse lines of diesel locomotives? Is it just cosmetics or are there drive train, performance, or reliabilty/durability differences?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
From Athearn's web site:

Authenticity, value and quality. They are all key to the Athearn Ready To Roll® HO lineup, which consists of a broad selection of fully assembled diesel locomotives, rolling stock and vehicles. The Ready To Roll line represents the diesel-transition era to today. It features the most exciting and attractive eras of railroading. All models are ready to hit the track right out of the box.

Roundhouse has been dedicated to crafting models with the finest care since 1938. The Roundhouse® brand emphasizes the early years of steam era railroading and offers collectors quality products at a genuine value.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Funny. That sounds like advertising copy. My experience with Roundhouse is the opposite -- the couple of pieces I have are on a par with Walthers Trainline or standard Atlas: with affordability emphasized over detail and accuracy.

That said, OLDER Roundhouse, before the Athearn acquisition, may well be as you say.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Funny. That sounds like advertising copy.
That's because it is.....he copied and pasted that right from Athearn's web-site. :LOL:

I agree with you CTV.....the current Roundhouse product is indeed very much like Walthers Trainline.....Horizon bought Roundhouse and amalgamated it with Athearn,,,,,Athearn tends to be the higher side, while Roundhouse handles the lower end..... both lines are good though, they have been around for decades....

·
Registered
716 Posts
The copy from the website about era bring the division used to be the case, but in recent years it's become about detail level.

They locos in the roundhouse line seen to be mostly former, older blue box, 4 axle stuff.

However even that doesn't accurately separate the brands as a number of those items have recently moved to the RTR line.

All this to say the recipe for division in brands seems to be one pint quality, a cup of era and two tablespoons of they can't seem to make up their mind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a dash 9 and all I can see different is it's just less detailed, but it still runs great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts