Model Train Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
I'm waiting for my RRampmeter to arrive and see what it says !
I've stayed out of the discussion because I'm not an expert in electrical stuff and I know my limits. However, I do know logic and common sense. For some reason, you appear to be resisting calling Digitrax for assistance. At the end of the day, if your unit is defective (and it sounds like it), you're going to be calling them anyway. Why not start with the obvious solution instead of nibbling around the edges?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
When I had trouble with a digitrax throttle I bought on Ebay I was reluctant to call Digitrax, when I finally had run out of options I made the call and they talked me thru the problem in a 10 minute call. First I could not believe they answer the phone and then to really help was just icing on the cake. Great company to work with!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I've stayed out of the discussion because I'm not an expert in electrical stuff and I know my limits. However, I do know logic and common sense. For some reason, you appear to be resisting calling Digitrax for assistance. At the end of the day, if your unit is defective (and it sounds like it), you're going to be calling them anyway. Why not start with the obvious solution instead of nibbling around the edges?
I am chatting with them on their help desk !

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I talked to Digitrax a few weeks ago and did everything they told me to do with the booster. Still only 10 volts coming out of it ! So they said to send it to them which I did. A few days ago I received an e mail from them saying they received it. Also it said 60 to 90 days to repair it !!!!! That is insane for something I purchased in March and never got it to run a train with it !!!! Seems to if someone purchased an item and it didn't work I would just replace it with one that DOES work ! So my adventure trying to go DCC has turned into a disaster ! And obviously going with Digitrax wasn't my smartest move either (where it said I'll be running trains in an hour) It's almost 4 months now.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I talked to Digitrax a few weeks ago and did everything they told me to do with the booster. Still only 10 volts coming out of it ! So they said to send it to them which I did. A few days ago I received an e mail from them saying they received it. Also it said 60 to 90 days to repair it !!!!! That is insane for something I purchased in March and never got it to run a train with it !!!! Seems to if someone purchased an item and it didn't work I would just replace it with one that DOES work ! So my adventure trying to go DCC has turned into a disaster ! And obviously going with Digitrax wasn't my smartest move either (where it said I'll be running trains in an hour) It's almost 4 months now.
I'm sorry you've gone through all this. Been there with some expensive Lionel stuff. I've recently learned to return things that don't work immediately to the seller for a refund or exchange. Don't wait. I never deal with the manufacturer for this very reason. I expect things to work right out of the box without exception. I should never have to "fix" anything or tweak it. Consequently I pay more attention to the seller's return policy than minor differences in price.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
OP wrote:
"my adventure trying to go DCC has turned into a disaster ! And obviously going with Digitrax wasn't my smartest move either (where it said I'll be running trains in an hour) It's almost 4 months now."

Change "digitrax" to "Digikeijs" and you'll be smiling, not cursing.

See my post #3 to you, earlier in this thread.

Stop making it hard on yourself.
My way is the easy way, and it... works.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I doubt you would get better service from anyone else, covid has really set things back. I've never had any trouble from Digitrax, remember they actually talked to you! I would also talk to them about the long time delay, it may be just a standard answer and reality will be much shorter.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
OP wrote:
"my adventure trying to go DCC has turned into a disaster ! And obviously going with Digitrax wasn't my smartest move either (where it said I'll be running trains in an hour) It's almost 4 months now."

PLEASE come over to real life with the rest of us. YOURS worked for you because of your particular combination of circumstances (including the fact that you did NOT get a defective unit). It is extremely unlikely that anyone else, especially someone with a complex layout, is going to have the same set of parameters and conditions as you do.

For what I wish would be the last time (but knowing your fan-boy attitude towards your system, I'm certain it won't be): the Digikeijs / z21 is NOT the hands down solution to everyone's DCC problems that you imagine (or have deluded yourself into thinking) it is. Just because it worked, and was right, for you does not provide empirical evidence that it will work for anyone else.

"Advice" of this nature is not helpful to anyone. We get it that you're happy with your system. Leave it at that. Feel free to recommend it with an open-eyed and honest assessment of it's strengths and weaknesses (because it has both) to people, but stop your dewy-eyed fanboy gushing every time the subject of DCC comes up. ESPECIALLY when the comments are directed at someone who has already purchased a different system. You're like that annoying relative who has recently discovered some fad, and then proceeds to ruin every family gathering my trying to convert everyone else.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
OP wrote:

This is a ridiculous and self-serving statement. Every manufacturer of every item sold in a market of any description has had to repair or to replace something or other due to failures. All it takes is a little understanding of randomness, mean times to failure, and other statistical analyses. Whether attributable to component defect or improper assembly/testing, or wear 'n tear, at some point every system has a failure.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts