Model Train Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
After reading the last few posts, I guess 1 X 4 pine will not make a great cabinet.
Some very nice cabinets/furniture can be made with pine, especially if you use clear pine such as Radiata which can be had at your local big box for around $10 for a 1X4X8’. I have made a cabinet for my workshop and a blanket chest for my wife from pine that came out very nice.

That said, if you are going to put the effort into making a work of art like Smokey did, why not spend a few bucks on the oak at about twice the price of the Radiata pine.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
You right. I mentioned the pine because I have a supply of it in the garage. I am going to use it for a layout,
then see what I have left.

I got the 1 X 4s from a ceiling of a large room that was semi cheaply finished off in the basement.
it was not done (not by me) correctly and I am tearing it all off. The 1 x 4s were used on the
ceiling to hold the ceiling tiles. Some are at least 12 foot long. They look fine. Straight and
no cracks. Actually they look new but are over 40 years old. Room is 15 X 26. I have been
burning the cheap paneling that was up. My trash does not want any building materials so
I burn what I can. I can still burn here. Not many places still allow that. Its just a small area
around me that still allows burning. Can't burn leaves though. As a kid I looked forward to the smell of burning leaves in the fall. My, how things have changed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Kenny,
After I retired I worked as an estimator briefly for a millwork company. They fabricated mall decorations, entrance counters for law offices, and the front desks for the hotel industry, the stuff was absolutely beautiful. Architects would specify woods and veneers I could hardly pronounce. We had a sample box of all the world's species of exotic woods.

What I like about the Elmwood I used was exactly what you described as tight-grained, high density, and mills well with no splitting. It wasn't always I could work hardwoods, early on I was limited to pine because of its softness. Over the years my equipment has improved.

OS47

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mopac,

Don't give up on using pine for a cabinet. It's true most hardwoods like oak, maple and poplar come from the mill and the store or lumber yard with very little surface blemish while pine is less forgiving to handling and is often marked up and damaged. You have to be selective when you pick out pine for your projects.
When I was young I made our furniture out of clear pine, most of the pieces are now scattered to the kids and backs of garages, it served its purpose. Clear stain finished pine is beautiful. If you hunt around for a mill that will cut and plane to the thickness you want you can build just about anything with it. If you decide to paint the cabinet then you don't have to be as selective in the quality of the surface since you will be using filler and a prime coat to finish it.
So go for it with the pine for the cabinet and have some fun, building the cabinet will add a new dimension to your time spent with your passion for model railroading. Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Be sure to post some photos.

OS47

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I had not thought much about it but if I would use pine I would paint white. Till you mentioned painting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nice work Lehigh74 did you use a shaper to make the raised panel fronts? It may be the stain or poly you used but the pine looks like Southern Yellow and not White Pine.

OS47

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Nice work Lehigh74 did you use a shaper to make the raised panel fronts? It may be the stain or poly you used but the pine looks like Southern Yellow and not White Pine.

OS47
Thanks OS47 and mo-pac. I used a router table with an 18 degree bit for the raised panels. The frame is Radiata pine from New Zealand by way of Home Depot. The top is pine with a cherry border. Not sure of exact species of pine for the top. That came from an amazing old piece of solid wood that was 1 ¼” X 18 ¼” X 16’. The finish is 3 coats of MinWax Helmsman followed by 3 coats of wipe on poly. It’s built to a Norm Abram plan.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts