Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I considered putting running trains in my future dental office and I liked the idea...but it just seemed liked it might be more work than it's worth and some patients might not like it. Plus, the trains I really wanted were not too practical. So, I'm thinking of doing something simpler.

There are 2 Lionel steam locomotives that I have always loved and wanted. Those are the GS-4 Daylight issued in 1983 and the PRR S2 Turbine issued in 1992. I was thinking I might pick these 2 locomotives up and use them as static decorations inside my office. Probably not in a patient heavy area, probably in my little consult office...perhaps on a shelf next to my desk.

What I am wondering is, is there a company out there that makes a display case for Lionel locomotives? I would prefer to have each of them on a strip of track (just long enough for the engine and tender). Then, have some kind of clear plastic box over them to keep dust off. Does anyone make something like this?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts

·
16,666 Posts
I've seen some nice ones offered on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIONEL-O-GAUGE-TRAIN-DISPLAY-CASE-60-LONG-/180593819862?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2a0c3b00d6

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lionel-O-Scale-2332-Pennsylvania-GG1-Display-Case-/150526851216?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item230c197890

Poke around ebay and look for custom cases. Then look for who's selling/making them. Chances are you'll find someone who can craft something to your specific size/style

There's plenty of plastic/acrylic cases available, but they look a little, well, plastic.

I had a gentleman make some custom wood-based HO cases for me. Found him on ebay, and have gone back to him a few times.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the responses. I like the custom setups the best. I think I will probably just find someone locally who can build me a custom case. That would probably be the easiest way to get exactly what I want.

·
16,666 Posts
The guy who did my HO cases is Lester Haines. It took him a bit long to deliver (2 months, or so), but I've been very happy with the quality, and have gone back to him on a couple of occassions.

You can contact him at [email protected]

He also goes by the username rustyrail on ebay.

Cheers,

TJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts